2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The issues just keep on coming......

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The issues just keep on coming......

No belt... Who told you that? Never heard of such a thing...

Hanr, how difficult is it to unbolt the TC from the flywheel on the 4L60E w/ full bellhousing? Do you have to do it through that access hole or is it done through the starter location? I ask because when I was down under my truck trying to solve my oil leak issues, I was soaking up what would need to happen if such a problem were to ever arise. I'm crazy that way, always thinking what needs to be done even though I have no indication of a problem in that area.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm noticeing a scraping/squealing sound coming from what seems to be the engine.
Someone told me that the belt could be glazed over and that is why when the car warms up it starts to slip......
Could the person simply be referring to the engine belt. In your original post you indicated two entirely different problems. Or at least that is the way I perceived it to be.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
MusicMaverick is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it might be the engine belt. But The more I listen to it the more I think it might be coming from the transmission. This is a brand new engine that was put in.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand I have to unbolt the torque converter from that access hole.
Starter, hmmmm, never thought of that. Might be easier to spin the crank by the starter access then a rachet on the front pulley. I'll let you know.

If you are going to drop the tranny, you will need about 2 1/2 feet of extensions and a wobble socket to get those top two bellhousing bolts off. On the older trannies ('87) its a 18mm, on this newer one ('00) its a 15mm. What year it changed I don't know, gonna guess when they went with the 4L60E is when they made the change.

To drop the tranny you have to remove the exhaust cross over pipe, not for tranny clearance, but to get your hands on the passenger side to remove the tv cable (4L60-700R4)/electrical plug (4L60E), and the cooling lines. I also have a set of stubby wrenches. They are like half the length of regular wrenches, and I have used them on those cooler lines. The extensions help in getting the exhaust manifold to y-pipe bolts off as well.

Plus the obvious stuff, both axles, t-case and tranny support brace. On the old version ('87) it was 15mm bolt and nuts, on the '00 is is a 15mm and 13mm. Took me a half hour to figure that one out.

Tonights work was put on hold due to other errands.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: MusicMaverick

I thought it might be the engine belt. But The more I listen to it the more I think it might be coming from the transmission. This is a brand new engine that was put in.
There is one way to remove any doubt about the engine belt, and that is to remove it and start the engine. You'll know right away if the belt, or a pulley si another possiblity, had a problem. If it's quieter, stop the engine and spin the pulleys by hand to see if they are smooth in feel and sound.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM

Well the verdict is in. Needs a new transmission. When I asked them what exactly it was they told me that they don't service trannys, they replace them..... for $3k I guess the plates in there are warn and slip..... seeing as i paid $4k for the whole truck, i want gonna go that route....... As for rebuilding it, they told me that they could recommend a place to rebuild it, but personally, they would recommend me just picking up a rebuilt one or something because it would be more work and money to rebuild it. Looks like I'm pickin' up a tranny.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend Jasper Engines & Transmissions.

A pretty much new tranny for your truck would cost $1937 for you and I. Find an installer and its bound to be even cheaper than that.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM

I see the tranny I need on eBay for $625 plus core and shipping, when its all said and done maybe $800....... I might go that route, its rebuilt with warranty. I thought I could install it myself. But my dad said that this tranny is prob heavier than my old triumph spitfire as well as my Jeep Wrangler, which we were able to drop and swap out ourselves. What do you guys think?

Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator

You'll need to have the truck fairly high up in the air inorder to keep the jack underneith it, but it is definitely do-able.

An eBay tranny is definitely scary... I found the auction that you are referring to and I'd much rather spend more on a quality rebuild. If you wanted to go cheaper, grab one from a junkyard. I could purchase a tranny from just down the street here with 15,000 miles on it for $500+ tax out the door. Take a search through Car-Parts.com for an auto-recycler near you.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
getblazed00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if you remember swart but you posted the same service bullitan for me about 2 weeks ago...my tranny went out and had nothing past 2nd and no reverse...you got it dead on man. Got my rebuild in and she's runnin great...stupid sun gears.

Quick Reply: The issues just keep on coming......