2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The issues just keep on coming......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The issues just keep on coming......

Glad you got it fixed. It is very difficult to properly diagnose problems over the internet. I just try to lay out the highest probability issues first in many cases. Glad I could be of service.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to catch up on this thread.
First off, yes you have to go through the starter to unbolt the torque converter to flexplate bolts on the 4L60e trannies.

Rebuild kits for a 700R4/4L60 tranny are roughly $120 at your local Napa. Buy a new torque converter, another $100 bucks or so. tranny fluid (12 quarts & $2,50 each), and get a can of tranny flush to flush out the tranny cooler. Most tranny shops will sell it to you.

I wouldn't let that company touch my truck, not if all they do is replace them.
$800 is about right for a good rebuilt 700R4/4L60 tranny. Most go for slightly more then that. A good company will offer a 1 year warrenty. Several internet companies are decent, which one are you looking at?

I only use ramps to drop my trannies. I drive my front tires up the ramp, block the rear tires, and go to it. I am currently in the process of dropping my 4L60E tranny in my '00 S10-Blazer, and have dropped my 70R4 in the '87 S10-Blazer 3 times in the past 2 years. Tonight I unbolted the torque converter and a few other things on the '00.

Top pic of the t-case on the ground, second pic removing the torque converter to flexplate bolts int eh '00.

[IMG]local://upfiles/679/19FA0AA192D24B069B3369F3E6268CC7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/679/79553C0CD7F440CC80B5B047E38A52B8.jpg[/IMG]

You can most defiently drop the tranny with your fathers help. A Haynes/Chilton manual will cover the basics, and I will be glad to answer any questions you have. By far the hardest part is getting the top two tranny bellhousing bolts out. when you get to that point, let me know and I can offer tips.

the first time I dropped the tranny I had my frame 2' off the ground, this time, I just use the ramps. The problem I ran into with the truck 2' off the floor, was getting a jack high enough to touch the bottom of the tranny. I built a woden box just to reach, and all I used for a jack was a little 1 ton thing. I now use a 3 1/2 ton floor jack, and I still use the wooden box. The t-cae weighs roughly 75-90#. the tranny wieghs roughly 200#. The tranny is not something you can bench press in and out of the truck. I can get it close, but run into problems getting it over my head. Kind of hard to lift 200# off the floor while lieing on your back with your arms stretched over your head. the easy wy to do this is rent a tranny jack from your local tool rental place. The problem with that is getting the tranny out from under the truck, it won't fit between the frame rails while on the jack, even with it 2' off the ground. You have to drop the tranny onto a piece of carpet and drag it out. Then figure out a way to get it back on top of the jack when you go to put it back in. I got a few tricks for this as well. This post is getting long enough. Post up your questions and I will do my best to get back to you in a timely manner.

Here is a link to my 700R4 rebuild thread.
700R4 rebuild link

Couple pics of the inside of a 700R4.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
MusicMaverick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help guys..... I Think I might rent a tranny jack. How much can they be? Not more than $50 I would think? For that it's worth it not to kill yourself....... We're looking at car-parts.com, thanks for that by the way, it looks really helpful......

Here's the question of the day, and this will decide what tranny I put in it...... With everything with this truck, should I keep it? or fix it up and sell it to cut my losses? If i fix it up and keep it, I'll get a remanufactured one with a warranty and all........ If I just wanna get it running and get rid of it, I'll just pick one up for a few hundred and throw it in there........

So that everyone is up to date. Here's the stats..... I bought it around thanksgiving, it sat in the driveway till Christmas when I came home from school to register it (I go to school in Boston, I live in upstate NY 4hr drive) So when I put it on the road is when i realized all the issues.

So far I have done the following:

-2 new rear calipers
-New pads all the way aroun
-New Idler arm and ball joints all the way around
-Front end Alignment

What is still wrong:

-The front grille is busted, I hot glued it back together so that it works for now, I was planning on replacing it completely come spring.
- The rear wiper doesn't work, we think it is either the relay or the motor itself
- The ABS has been kicking in too soon, we're hoping we can just have the sensors cleaned.
- The front wipers seem to be shorting out, I will have them at the slowest setting, and they will speed up on their own.
- The rear diff cover needs to be replaced $15

Cosmetically, it looks pretty decent. A ding here, a scratch there, nothing major.

It is a 98' Chevy Blazer LS 4dr 4x4.... I bought it for $4000 ...... It has 94k miles on it, and a brand new (not remanufactured) engine installed right before I bought it. It was owned by a woman who didn't take care of it clearly, never changed the oil, all that. Bought by a mechanic who installed the new engine and sold it to me.

So thats the pickle guys, on the one hand, it will have a new drivertrian in it at 94k, and more or less, the rest of the issues are minor....... On the other hand, could this thing just be possessed and maybe I should cut my losses..... What do you all think??

Old 01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd throw in a good reman'd unit and keep the thing. So long as you aren't having electrical issues, you've replaced just about everything mechanical! With a new motor and a new tranny, you shouldn't be having any trouble with either of them for another 100k miles or more if well maintained.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2006, 03:55 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to agree.
Keep it. If you take care of that engine and tranny they will last you longer then you will keep it. The minor stuff can be annoying, but the truck has basically a new drivetrain.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:46 AM
MusicMaverick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, thats what I've been leaning towards also. The only real major thing left is the transfer case. Those aren't known for going are they? Better knock on wood, the way things are going for me, in a month it will blow..... haha. Thanks for all your help guys!! I really appreciate it.