2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just bought my 96 Yesterday, and already problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Steel brake lines are custom bent.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
deadbuzzard is an unknown quantity at this point

check out lmctruck.com
they have lots of things

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=151

year only goes to 1994

Last edited by deadbuzzard; 04-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Nice web site! Good to know, but only shows 1st generation S & T body... $229 WOW, Custom bending is not difficult at all, if you use a tubing bender. Probably have under $30 in lines.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To add to Captain Hook's comment, custom bending should not take 2hrs to do. Heck, I do not think the first fuel line I ever bent up took 2 HRS and that went from the fuel level sending unit on my dad's 94 K2500 pickup all the way to the throttle body.

Not to mention that you can pick up a 12", 24", 36", etc long (typically in 12" increments) from Napa or many other autoparts stores for not a lot of money. Typically the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the old lines off.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

if the hole is in the rear all he needs to do is from the junction block to the rear wheel cylinder not hard at all
also a leak in the rear would not effect how fast the fronts wore down
mechanic sounds like an idiot i would find someone better

Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
djschmidty is on a distinguished road

Hmm....

Thanks for the link first off, second to the Mods - Sorry for the double post, just want to get this thing up and running asap! -.....

Well, taking into thought that i'm more computer inclined and music inclined then mechanically, I guess I would have to either find a new mechanic, or ask him for a quote on how much to do it for...

(I wonder if one of these quickie coorporate owned places can do it???)

like a jiffy lube, or meineke??

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

jiffy lube wont a meineke or a firestone will
too bad you arent near me i do brake lines all the time even have a nice hydraulic flaring tool

Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacement brake lines

Sorry to say but I've not found a place that sells replacement brake lines for the '96 Blazer or Jimmy. New lines are relatively easy to fabricate though. I did mine last year. The job is not that hard, dirty, but not hard. Jack up the back (I use wheel ramps), drop the spare tire, you should now have lots of working room. I bought a 6' length of brake line (straight piece) that came with fittings pre-installed on both ends (at AutoZone). Borrow the brake line flare fitting tool and buy 2 additional end line fittings (3/16" standard brake line flare fittings, if I'm not mistaken, should do the trick). Using just my hands (thumbs mostly), I was able to gently bend the new straight brake line into a reasonably close shape to the old existing line (took about 10 minutes of bending and checking and tweaking with lots of goofy angle bends, etc) but I got it done. Then slide a new fitting on the end of the line and make the flare (make absolutely certain that the new line is both long enough to reach the distribution block and the wheel brake cylinder AND that you place the fitting on the line in the right direction so the threads are pointing in the right direction to tighten into the block or cylinder). Then it's simply a matter of disconnecting the old line fittings from the center distribution block (mounted to the rear differential housing), you can simply cut the old lines out (I used a Dremel with a small cutting wheel) if you wish since you're putting in new ones anyway. Cut the lines only, not the fittings. The fittings will be easier to get out if the old lines are not in the way (tip). Note: brake fluid will leak out of the distribution block so have 3/16" plugs available or make the swaps quickly. Once the new lines are in place, don't forget to bleed the brake lines through the brake cylinder bleed screws (you'll need a bleeder kit and a helper and new brake fluid for this part).

Like I said, this is relatively easy to do, if you are comfortable getting dirty and doing it yourself. If not, then let a competent mechanic handle the job, for your own safety.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
djschmidty is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the reply, but i just took it to midas... $550 for a power steering flush, new pads in the front, cut both rotors in front, and drums in the back, new cylinders in the back, new lines in the back, and fuel system cleaning, using some sort of additive.

Car drove ok before, but now its like WHOA! Brakes are amazing, it actually gets a little more HP on the butt dyno, and overall feels MUCH safer of an suv to drive. It was a little much, but for me it was worth it...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.