2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

K&N Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: K&N Intake

im with Jigg all the way on this one. AEM would be the better choice of the two. i have a K&N FIPK but it was much cheaper than the AEM at the time i bought it. Just because you hear a certain name more often than another does NOT mean its more reputable or better.

i also have a magnaflow muffler

Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

K&N on pretty much any MAF equipped engine has a bad rap. Many, many filters come from K&N over oiled, coating the MAF sensor. A dry filter would be much better in any MAF equipped vehicle unless you like playing around with your MAF often...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
OCblazerowner is an unknown quantity at this point

I only have to clean my MAF about once a year with my K&N replacement filter, not a big deal on my part to do it,I also work for a Chevrolet dealer in the parts department, so it wouldn't run me much to get a new one.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry, i just don't see the logic. Why not just buy the AEM in the beginning, andnot have to worry about having the additional maintenenceor cost of the MAF (which, even with a GM discount, is going to bring your total purchase price to much more than the AEM). Really, K&N isn't that good. I mean, it's obvious you've made up your mind, but i really don't understand the logic, espescially when knowledgable members of the forum are advising you against it.

Butto answer your original question... i'd think the only real way to gain any extra hp from the K&N is to install a larger filter on it (like the AEM dryflow )

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM

I just may do that when it comes time to replace or clean the filter by putting an AEM dry filter on there.

*Combining posts. Please use the EDIT function if no one has replied since your last post, thanks. TBB

Now heres another question for you Jigg, throttle body spacers/manifold spacers, and chips? Any recomendations or advice??

Screw VTEC It's all about VORTEC!

1996 Chevy S10 Blazer 2dr. 4.3 V-6 Over 200K!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Now heres another question for you Jigg, throttle body spacers/manifold spacers, and chips? Any recomendations or advice??

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Throttle body spacers do nothing other than create an annoying whistling noise. As far as chips, there is jet and hypertec. Both cost a bunch for not a bunch of gain, best bet would be to finda local place to do a computer tune on the blazer. They can account for any performance/aftermarket stuff you have added. There is also a place called the wait4me tune that does this through you send them your ECU they tune it and send it back, or you can buy a tuned ECU and keep your stock one. I think this was $75 for you shipping yours in getting it tuned and shipped back, and like 160 for a tuned ECU sent to you with you keeping your stock one. Here is a link to a thread about it.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with jigg. i just got rid of my k&n. way to much problems. stay away from oiled airfilters and clamp on throttle body hats. i got a oil freefilter and bolt on hat. much better now.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: OCblazerowner

throttle body spacers/manifold spacers, and chips? Any recomendations or advice??
Manifold spacers are supposed to offer pretty good gains, but they're a decent amount of work to install. Don't bother with a chip or hypertech, get a custom PCM tune from Wait4meperformance or PCMforless.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Got and installed my K&N yesterday, runs great no problems, no huge gains obviously but does have alittle more pep to it. Do want to do a manifold spacer on it, need to save up some though considering i just spent $120 on a new windshield today but I want to try to get as much performance out of it. Anyone know of any good places that sell headers and other performance products?(besides summit and jegs)

Quick Reply: K&N Intake