2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Keyless Entry Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:26 AM
KrzyKrl25 is on a distinguished road
Default Keyless Entry Factory or Aftermarket?

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 1997 Blazer LT. When I bought the car from a small dealer they gave me the keys and along with it came a Prestige Fob that the previous owners turned into them with the car. The Fob doesn't seem to do anything for my car. I did some research and realized that my car was equipped with a factory keyless entry. So I located where the box was and when I was underneath looking at it, I realized that there were two buttons by the underdash/feet light. One button was a black push in button and the other was a toggle that read on/off. I'm not sure what they are for but I read they may have been part of an aftermark alarm. Well upon further I discovered that the wires for these two buttons were cut. Basically, my question is how do I figured out if there has been an aftermarket alarm installed on my car and if so which one will work. I got on amazon and ordered myself an authentic chevy fob so should I wait till that arrives to try to program it and see if it works? Also would anyone happen to have the wiring diagram I may need? Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a long post.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yes aftermarket alarm. I suggest removing it since it is not working anyways and use the factory system.
Since you have located the aftermarket box remove it. If the trim panel is not off, remove it and will likely find one or more relays that have been wired into the factory harness. Will need to remove the relay(s) and reconnect any factory wires back together.

Will then need to get a replace factory key fob for your year; check ebay for them.

Just make sure the engine starts as one of the aftermarket relays is a starter interrupt.

Take the aftermarket siren off as well.

I had to do this on my '02 when the aftermarket alarm failed in a parking lot: siren going off and could not start the engine. Had to rip the wires off the siren. Hope this does not happen to you.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM
KrzyKrl25 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lanny for the help. Appreciate it. It appears the previous owner may have had similar problems as you did because what I've heard is called the "Valet Key" button, appears that someone cut the wires. Hopefully the old system is still hooked up and working. I hate not knowing anything previous about vehicles.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Trouble is the two switches have the wires cut...that is a problem. Yes one of them should be the Valet button, and the other one was for programming the different features of the alarm system. Have you tried searching the 'net with the brand/model for a manual? Will probably find one and at least then you would have additional information on it.

And very much agree about the hate not knowing about vehicle past!