2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Keyless entry and tech2 info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So, what did you do? Just plug it in?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Yup, plugged it in and did the passlock relearn procedure outlined here.

Now you are ready to swap the BCM.
The three BCM wiring connectors are removed by squeezing the retention clips. Once the three connections are removed the BCM has two plastic clips that hold it in the bracket.Replace with the donor BCM and attach the connectors.

Reassemble the dash and all panels.
Reconnect your battery.

Now to program the components:
The passlock system uses a lockout cycle in order to synchronize all of the passlock components when any passlock related part is changed. The passlock system requires 3 consecutive lockout cycles in order to complete the 30 minute learn procedure for the changed component.

Changing the passlock components:
The design of the passlock system is to prevent theft even if various theft deterrent parts are changed. The parts that can not be changed without going into the tamper mode are: The passlock sensor, BCM and VCM/PCM. If any of these parts are replaced the vehicle may start and stall for 10 minutes. This is the long tamper mode. If this occurs, the system must go through a long tamper mode cycle. During this time the security telltale will be flashing for the full ten minutes and the DTC B3031 will be set. The BCM and the PCM require a full ten minutes in order to complete a learn cycle. The ignition switch must remain in the RUN position until the security telltale stops flashing. You need to repeat the cycle if the ignition switch does not remain in the RUN position.

Programming the theft deterrent system components:

30 minute learn procedure:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start)
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately ten minutes the telltale will turn off.
4. Turn off the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of three consecutive cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the passlock sensor data code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK)
Apparently, some guys still had probs after trying the relearn procedure. Luckily, I didn't. Well, nothing huge anyways. My airbag light is on and I think I may have busted a vac line. When I get into the gas a fair amount, the vents don't blow as hard. Until I let out of the gas and cruise at the any speed.

edit: I guess I can close this thread out for good. I pulled the air bag code at school with the Tech2. It was B1001. From my other thread:

DTC B1001
Diagnostic Instructions

• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptor

DTC B1001: SDM Option Configuration Error

Circuit/System Description

When the ignition is first turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) compares the restraints ID stored in the SDM to the restraints ID stored in the body control module (BCM). The restraints ID being compared contains the last four digits of the SDM part number. The SDM then compares the vehicle identification number (VIN) stored in the SDM to the VIN stored in the BCM.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The restraints ID stored in the SDM does not match the restraints ID stored in the BCM, or the VIN information stored in the SDM does not match the VIN information stored in the BCM.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The SDM commands ON the AIR BAG warning lamp via class 2 serial data. • The SDM disables all AIR BAG deployments.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• You issue a scan tool CLEAR DTCs command. • The restraints ID that is stored in the SDM matches the restraints ID that is stored in the BCM.
Diagnostic Aids

DTC B1001 is an indication that the restraint IDs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match or that the VINs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match. If the BCM was replaced, the replacement module will have to be reprogrammed for proper operation.
Reference Information
So I figured...what if I swap in the air bag module that is matched with that BCM already? I went and pulled it from the same donor truck that I pulled the BCM from, swapped it in after pulling the battery cable and letting the air bag system de-energize, and now I have working air bags again. If anyone else plans on doing this, pull the air bag module as well as the bcm from the donor truck. The air bag module is located under the center console in the Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada, towards the rear, underneath the actual storage compartment. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 10-26-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added more info about fixing airbag light