2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

knocking distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:13 PM
dragracekid is on a distinguished road
Default knocking distributor

so i just got an 03 blazer 4.3 and i love it exept one small odd problem.

i can hear and feel a knock from the cap of the distributor as it runs i can even hear it a little in the car. the truck runs great and no check engine.

the odd thing is i pulled the rotor and cap and the distributor doesnt move sid to side but up and down but just a little and i know thats normal.

if i loosen the whole distributor i can move it around a little and make the knock go away for a few days then it comes back.

anyone know what a permenant fix might be? im a little confused on this one thank you to anyone that may be able to help.

by the way i had an 89 blazer before this i really like the blazers and this one can aparently tow a lot enough for what im gonna use

Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dragracekid
...if i loosen the whole distributor i can move it around a little and make the knock go away for a few days then it comes back...
That is the adjustment for camshaft retard, it does not affect ignition timing. Sounds like the distributor bushings are worn out, which requires distributor replacement. You're better off getting one that has an aluminum housing rather than plastic like the OEM. They are available on Ebay for around $50. After distributor replacement, camshaft retard must be checked & adjusted using a capable scan tool. The el cheapos that the auto parts stores have will not access the data.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That is the adjustment for camshaft retard, it does not affect ignition timing. Sounds like the distributor bushings are worn out, which requires distributor replacement. You're better off getting one that has an aluminum housing rather than plastic like the OEM. They are available on Ebay for around $50. After distributor replacement, camshaft retard must be checked & adjusted using a capable scan tool. The el cheapos that the auto parts stores have will not access the data.
thats what i was a little worried about at least its nothing to big now my other question is will the cam timing change if i put it in the same way as the other one?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM

thank you for the help ill be getting some help with a scanner haha

Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Whenever the distributor hold down bolt is loosened, camshaft retard needs to be checked and adjusted. After you install the new distributor, if it's not meshed correctly with the camshaft, P1345 will be set in memory and the check engine light will come on. Adjusting camshaft retard aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft. It does not affect camshaft timing or ignition timing.