2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaking around fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Psygnosis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking around fuel pump?

So I'm in the process of replacing the fuel pump in my '99 Jimmy and when we dropped the tank a little gas would leak out around the fuel pump when we tipped the tank. I didn't think much of it as we were replacing it, but we have the new one in and it's doing the same thing. With the the tank being disconnected from everything and not under pressure is this normal?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Leaking around fuel pump?

There should not be any leaks in the tank. Even a small leak like that could be enough to set off the Check Engine Light due to the vacuum pressure loss that it would create.

Did you make sure to fully clean the pump sealing ring area? Do you have a plastic tank or metal? I'm thinking plastic. Was there any signs of a cracked tank??

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM

It's the plastic tank and there doesn't apear to be any cracks. The fuel comes out right around the fuel pump when the tank is tilted and it was doing it with the old pump as well as the new one. This is all with the tank sitting on the ground outside the truck, so no CEL.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that you are testing this with the tank out, I was simply stating that a leak may cause a CEL if left to leak.

How difficult was it to get the lock ring back in place?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Well we pulled out the fule pump, cleaned up around the seal and put it back togther and it didn't seem to leak anymore. But, as we were trying to mount it back up, the tank shifted on the jack and two of the tips on the new pump broke