2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:36 PM
redghost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking coolant

Wanted to start off by saying hello to everybody on this forum. Hello.

Second of all I've got a blazer that just started to leak antifrezee, from searching around the board i've narrowed it down to either a leaking lower manifold gasket or a leaking water pump. I'm hoping for a leaking water pump as it seems to be easier to remove. I've got pics of where its leaking as well as i've got a leak that I cant seem to understand whats leaking its in the pics. It feels oily. The leaking coolant is right under the EGR <assuming the EGR is the can shaped/sized at the top>

Leaking coolant

Unknown leaking oily substance

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Fixed image/url tags. The software cannot understand tags in caps.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Leaking coolant

That looks exactly like a leaking lower intake manifold gasket to me...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks swartlkk for the pictures tag fixes, didn't even notice that they didn't load.....

Got 2 more questions for ya if you dont mind.

1) would the oily substance be caused by a leaking lower intake gasket in the second picture?

2) I know this isnt a permenant fix but whats the worst that could happen if I sealed it with some temporarily RTV around the sides? Low on cash right now being a student right now.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The oil could be a result of the LIM leak, but could also just be a weeping valve cover gasket.

RTV applied to the outside won't seal the leak.

How much coolant are you loosing over time?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Honestly not too sure, though I wouldnt think too much since when I drive the car<yes I know very bad idea just at the time I wanted to make sure that it was actually leaking and not a spill> the truck stays at a constant 100C<middle line>. When I looked at the overflow tank, noticed it was bone dry with some Dexcool rust<substance that occurs from air and dexcool>. Thats what made me look for a leak. I was planning to drain the dexcool and put in the green stuff<-40C and bellow winter with no heat over here due to the rust build up made that decision.> but when I saw the empty overflow tank I stopped right there. Was worried it was getting into the bearings and since I was going to flush it out with water<if it was leaking there oil + water = Very Bad>
I held off until the leak was found. Sorry for the huge amount of information/ length of post it's just I really care about my truck so I tend to give out alot of info about a problem since I dont know that much on the blazer. I really do appriciate your help.

So what do you think should I flush it out with water and Prestone coolant flush, refill with the green stuff,drive around and see how much it leaks or bear down and get it fixed before flushing?

hmmm if it can't be sealed, you wouldnt happen to know any places in Canada that would carry the lower intake gasket and valve cover gasket? Places around here carry both for $130 before taxes. Dosn't matter if it's an an online site as long as its cheaper then $130. Found a cheaper one on ebay, but not too sure on the quality of ebay gaskets. Any idea on the quality of ebay parts?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Almost all of the coolants offered now are the same OAT formulation as Dexcool. Prestone All Makes, All Models coolant will fit the bill for a refill. And yes, I would flush the system out VERY well before filling it back up.

You should at least fill up the system and overflow bottle and then determine how fast it is leaking out.