Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking Engine Oil and Coolant from Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 AM
bm4183 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking Engine Oil and Coolant from Transmission

After changing my fuel filter, I noticed there was engine oil and coolant leaking under the engine where it meets the transmission. After checking everything over, I can't determine where it's coming from. There is nothing on the top or the sides of the engine, just on the bottom. It runs fine except that it has been getting harder to start lately. Also, both the coolant and the oil look normal. What is the problem? Please help.

1998 2wd Blazer 4.3L

-Brandon

Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Leaking Engine Oil and Coolant from Transmission

Oil could be from a leaky rear main seal and the coolant could be from a leaking rear freeze plug... Again, COULD be...

On my Bravada, my pan was actually loose, causing oil to leak and had me thinking I had a rear main seal leak. Tightened up the pan bolts and all was well again.

I don't know what to recommend on the freeze plug... Is the mixture of oil and coolant coming from the bellhousing area or is it coming down the sides of the block? If it is a freeze plug on the rear of the engine, then you either have to pull the engine or the transmission to replace it. I'd make sure that is where it is coming from before doing this however. Would suck to get it all apart and find that it was a hose...

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
bm4183 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking that maybe it was a rear main seal, but I was unsure about the coolant. It is coming from around the bellhousing area, right at the bottom. I can't seeing any liquid anywhere around the top of the motor or around the sides at all. I guess I can check the pan bolts just to rule that out. All of the hoses that I can see are dry.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I like to use a mirror to check for coolant leaks at the back of the intake manifold, it makes it a lot easier to see.
There should be a cover on the front or on the bottom of the bell housing that you can remove to help with looking for your oil leak.