2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaking lines getting really annoying

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
Williamsb7181 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking lines getting really annoying

OK so I have a 98 blazer 4.3 vortec 4x4 and its leaking oil and power steering fluid like crazy. First I went to replace the pressure line on power steering pump and sure enough I found a gash in the line so got a new one and put that on and its still leaking. much slower than before but leaking none the less. also I found it kind of odd there are threads visible now on one end of the line and I don't think they were before so im gonna pull that back off and see if I dropped the o-ring or just didn't get it in straight but im sure that it wasn't stripped and I got it tight. The other problem is a huge amount of oil on the drivers side near the remote oil filter. after searching threads on here I decided the first thing to do would be replace the oil cooler lines running to the rad and I did that but still leaking oil so obviously that isn't the only place it was leaking. my belt is covered in oil so its spraying somewhere but I can never see it when I open the hood and let the engine run. Same with power steering fluid, its all over the engine bay but I cant seem to get it to spray while Im looking at it even with someone turning the wheel. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated I feel like im pouring money and time into this thing and I don't have much of either

Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Have you checked the lines for the remote oil filter? Those have been known to leak on our trucks.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
Williamsb7181 is on a distinguished road

It looks like a good amount of oil is in that area, its hard to tell cuz theres so much, but are they the ones that lead to the block then cuz I think I changed the other 2 but im not sure how many lines I saw down there its kindof a mess haha

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

There are two that go to the radiator for the oil cooler, and there are two that go to the remote oil filter. They come from the actual oil filter to where the filter is normally on small blocks, the back driver side corner of the block.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM
mikes95blzr is on a distinguished road

To properly troubleshoot the source of your leaks you'll need to clean everything in the engine bay, and monitor what's wet on a daily basis. A pressure washer works for the clean up. Don't forget to wipe down each suspicious looking line. You'll need to pull the skid plates to access them. The engine-to-remote oil filter lines are the likely cause. Unless you have $50 laying around for a new set on lines and 3+ hours for the labor for the R & R, you'll need to do your homework to be sure.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are a few threads on the forum explaining how to modify the lines so they don't leak. Replacing them with OEM or aftermarket lines is not the answer, they will leak, just like what you've got going on now. OEM lines have a one year guarantee and I think it means they guarantee them to leak just over a year. The aftermarket lines have a lifetime guarantee, which helps, but they still leak. The lines from the engine block to the remote oil filter are tricky to replace, but you can modify them without even removing them from the vehicle.... if you do it right, they will not leak...ever.