2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lifgate Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
nnnatedman69 is on a distinguished road
Default Lifgate Actuator

I have took my tailgate apart bought new actuator have power going to the actuator. But when I push the tailgate button or the hatch button on the car. The actuator will not ignite. Help. what else could it be?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Just so there's no miscommunication, exactly what do you expect to happen, and what doesnt work?
Are you saying you cant open the liftgate?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Yes I cant open the window at all. took panel off talilgate got actuator off. Tested the wires making sure there is power going to the Actuator. have power. So the only thing it could be it the acutator. Got power to the wire connector going to the acuator from both the hatch button on the dash and the hatch button for the window on the liftgate. But when i hooked the new actuator up it wont move either just as the old one didnt. Thats why i thougth the actuator was the problem but the new actuator will not work either. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM

The actuator will not move at all to pop the latch for the window. Possible could it be the new actuator is bad too. Ordered it on Amazon

Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as though you have verified the presence of +12V power at the actuator whenever either of the buttons is pressed.

Have you verified that the actuator is getting a good ground? On automatic equipped models, the ground path goes through the transmission range switch located on the side of the transmission surrounding the shift lever. Ground is supplied only when the transmission is in park or neutral. On manual transmission models, the ground loop is completed by the parking brake lever.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by nnnatedman69
The actuator will not move at all to pop the latch for the window. Possible could it be the new actuator is bad too. Ordered it on Amazon
Fold over a paper towel several times, lay it over the gasket on the door - window, right beside but not over the latch; latch the glass, then push the button. The glass should pop out a little.. does it?
If so that's how it is supposed to work. The trim gasket has flattened and isnt resisting the glass.
Can you adjust the loc of the latch, back to front ?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is very strange about these tailgates is that there was a slight design change from 96 to 97.The 96 had a slightly differnent set up,electrically-but the switches were almost the same. I was able to modify my 96 set up to work in my 97! Working for 2 years now.Look at it carefully,you will be able to set it right!Go for it! Also keep in mind that the latch IS adjustable so glass rattle can be rectified!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran

this is 99 but may help. Or may be totally different
If you're getting 12 v to the actuator, and dont hear it operating, just try grounding the black side directly.
If the 12v is ALWAYS there..and grounding actuates it, it's a whole different circuit than on this diag

Attached Thumbnails Lifgate Actuator-ckt_liftgaterelease.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the help guys gonna go get on this here in about an hour be back with results.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Step thanks i need to adjust the rattle in my window that thing screeches so bad whenever i hit bumps people on the phone cant here me.

Quick Reply: Lifgate Actuator