2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

long term fuel trims high at idle???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned
groundhogman is on a distinguished road

no but i will tomorrow and i will let you know what i find when i get home

Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

ok i tried searching with a propane torch today at work, i went of every vaccum line, intake, all hoses and sensors that had vaccum sources going to and from them, but found no change at all, what next?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You say that the LTFT are high at idle. What do they do when you are cruising down the road?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

the LTFTRMS actually go down to between 6 to 9 and they somewhat level out with the STFTRMS which are about 5 to 8 or so at cruising speeds

Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That does not make sense... If both the STFT and LTFT are positive, the LTFT should rise, not drop... And the LTFT should take quite a while to drop that far unless there is a significant drop in STFT that lasts for a long time.

Have a read through this post:
97 Blazer Loss Engine Power after warm up.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

ok i read the posts you sent me and none of them pertain to anything my truck is doing?????????????????

Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

I meant for the description of how LTFT and STFT work. Should have been in that thread.

BTW, if your valves are not opening up properly, it could cause this... You have another thread about tapping lifters. Ever thought that they could be related??

Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

yes very much so, thank you cause ive been thinking that all along but was not sure if it would cause a rich mixture or not, thats why i was asking about putting in new lifters on bank 1 along with new pushrods and rockers on both banks since im already there. so you think it would be causing the rich mixture? cause btw i have a slight miss from idle up to about 1200 rpm and i think its that lifter and it seems like its just 1 cylinder, but SEEMS to go away after about 1200 rpms

Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Positive fuel trims is indicating a lean mixture that the PCM is attempting to compensate for by adding more fuel. The STFT is the here & now adjustment to the fuel needs from the baseline. The PCM keeps track of the rolling average of STFT by way of the LTFT. Both STFT and LTFT combine to add to the baseline fuel map in the PCM. This is the PCM self tuning to conditions, engine health, and other various things affecting efficient operation.

With that said, if your valves are not opening all the way, weird things can happen.

If your lifters are tapping, the noise resulting could trigger the knock sensors which may retard timing to a point where it is not efficiently burning the fuel / air mixture in the combustion chamber.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

also do you think the lifter tapping could also cause the valve not to open up fully?

Quick Reply: long term fuel trims high at idle???