2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Loose directional/wiper/high beam arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Captain WeirdBeard is on a distinguished road
Default Loose directional/wiper/high beam arm

Just bought a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS 4 door 4x4. New to the forum, but not new to forums in general. I've used the search feature and gone through about 70 pages with the words loose, arm, etc. No luck. As the title describes, the arm for my turn signal/cruise control/wipers/high beams is loose in the "socket." All the functions of the arm work, I just feel like I need to be very gentle or it could snap off. I would not even consider myself an amateur mechanic, so any insight on how to tighten that up would be very appreciated. Until then... back to the boards I go.
-Captain WB

Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Default Sorry...

but... Bump. I can't find any info.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member
reytx1 is on a distinguished road

1. Take off the outer plastic cover that goes around the multi-function switch (arm for signal lights, cc, wipers etc.) It is actually two peice and there are two screws on the bottom (might be torque wrench screws, I'm not sure)

2. After taking the screws out remove the the two piece plastic cover, :in order to take the bottom piece off you will have to pull out the steering column lever that adjusts the height of the steering wheel.

3. Finally after you take off the plastic cover you will see that there are two main bolts holding the multi-function switch, one on top and the other that faces towards the back of the steering wheel. Tighten those up and it should fix your problem.

Let me know if you have any question, I know i am not the best at explaining things so it's easier than it sounds.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Default Werd

Thanks for the reply. I have an idea as to what you're talking about. I'm at work now, so I'll have to take another look later. And no worries about the explanation. I think it's clearer than you're giving yourself credit for. Haha. I'll post what I find. Most forums won't let you post pics until a certain amount of time/posts, but hopefully I can take some shots of the process for other people wondering the same. Thanks again.
-Stay Blazing

Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to dive into this soon on my 2000. I think the covers are setup the same as your 2002. Didi you have to do anything as far as taking the Cluster Plastic off or were you able to separate the two Steering column halves easily to get at the Multi function switch?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=577320

How did you make out?? I just completed the Swap out of my daughters Multi Function switch (Directional/wiper switch).

The above URL is pretty good in getting you to the Switch.

You do NOT have to take off the whole Dash as indicated.

Aside from my daughters switch loosing some functions, The was very sloppy as you describe. Just worn out I guess. I am going to dissect it and see where her's failed.

If you go and replace the whole switch, There is one small connector that is tough to get to up behind the Ignition. You can lift up the little locking device to remove the connector with a Mechanics Pick so you don't have to take off the whole Face of the Dash.

Last edited by Tony H; 02-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.