2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Loose wire and heating (Fan clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
wwild0471 is on a distinguished road
Default Loose wire and heating (Fan clutch)

Hello, I gave a 4 door 97 Blazer 4,3L. I have 2 issues that might be related. I found a wire under the hood. Its red, a little bit thicker than any sensor, and it seems, that it should be connected to 1 of the screws on the black box on the driver side, just in the middle of the hodd of the drivers side. Any suggestions on that?

And the 2nd is: I have heating problems. I have the fan clutch under suspession. I turnedit when the engine is cold, and its heavy to move. Then the engine is hot, its easy. Is it spoiled?
I saw some threads on that issue, and the post tell me, it should be just the other way around. Is it true now, should I replace it. Its difficult to get spareparts here in good old Germany, so I have to think before I order.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

can you post a picture of the wire location?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM
19blazer95 is an unknown quantity at this point

1-That red wire you are talking about is by the battery junction (black box) . It has a female end (square ) and is a test port , it does not connect to any sensor.Also it has nothing to do with your mechanical fan 2-You need to explain what type of heating problems you have , but here is some information anyway. The fan clutch should be a little hard when you try to turn it in the morning and a little more difficult after driving.If it spins freely all the time , it is damaged and not cooling correctly.A normal duty clutch spins at about 70 -80% of the water pump speed which is the one you most likely have. When was the last time you checked the condition of your antifreeze , autoparts stores sell testers for a couple of dollars.Next your thermostat should be checked to see if it is opening properly or replaced (very inexpensive).Other problems could be blockages in the cooling system .Post your exact overheating symptoms Good Luck

Old 09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Default overheating

Well, thanks for the first help. U bought this car 3 weeks ago. I don't have any infos about the owners before. Thats my problem. I found a checkbook, but all I saw is, that the last check was done some years ago at 50t. I bought it with 139t. But from all I see so far, the owner did not take care very much. U can see that on very simple things, like weighting the tires, bad oil ( smells smoky, but no evidence of something spoiled ( all caps checked). Even the interior is not treated well. That brought me to the thermostat as a faulty part first. I ordered it already.
My heating problem is like this:
The engine warms up normaly. Not to fast, not to slow, and stops a while at 100 Celsius (normal temp). But then suddenly it climbs up to 110 ( 125 is red). Then it falls back to something like 70. Climbs up again, maybe even till the red. Then falls back. Last time to 100. The gaugh is never steady. I put the scanner and measured with the scanner, and yes. It seems to heat up really to much.
I stopped and checked the upper hose of the radiant, to see, uf the fan spins and the hose is hot. The hose is hot, and the fan spins.
By the way, the fan spins never freely. But it does not do even half a round, no matter if cold or hot engine. So I thought thats not ok either.
So its the second thing suspecios to me. And I checked the coolant fluid. It was not dirty, it was green, but it smells like rotten water. So I want to change the fluid and the Thermo first.
I listened carefully with overheated engine ( according to the gaugh), to hear if there is a bubble noise. Nothing. So I guess its not air in the system. Doesnt matter anyway, cause I will put it to a mechanic for the thermo, so they can change the fluid too.

For the wire:
I will take a picture and post. Its under the hood on the driver side. The<battery is on codriver. I opened a black box, where 6 screws and 5 wires are under. I saw one screw not occuppied, and the wire looks the same, like the mounted ones. Its not a plug. But maybe the pic helps more. Gonna take it tomorrow, cause its late and dark. Just come back from bussines.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Default problems solved

You will not believe! It were 3 L Fluid were missing!!!
I changed the thermo anyways. The old one could not work anymore. Too much dust, Real a hell. I think they filled it somewhere at Sahara last, or only once in this 12 years. Gonna change the fluid next week.
The wire:
I just screwed it there on the junction box. Now I do not have the problem of the blowing fuse, when engaging 4x4. Things can be so easy...