2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Loud fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018 | 06:06 AM
|
Beginning Member
trautsretnuh is on a distinguished road
Default Loud fuel pump

Hello. My 02 blazer turns over but won't crank .When the pump primes it is louder than should be when it was starting. My fuel guage went bad so I ran out of gas 2 times in as many days. Before the posts start about running out of gas just know funds were tight and I was nickel and diming until payday. Anyway, it sounds similar to a pump sucking air. Has any one ever seen the strainer get stopped up bad enough to do that. From reading it seems when the sending unit goes bad many times the pump isn't far behind. I guess what I'm looking for is some back up to just replace pump.

Old 08-21-2018 | 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What do you mean by turns over but won’t crank? Does it crank (starter makes the engine rotate) but won’t start/run?

Have you performed any fuel pressure tests?

Did the truck ever stumble or buck while underway with adequate gas in the tank before this happened?

George

Old 08-21-2018 | 12:59 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks for responding George. Yes it turns over just won't fire up. I haven't done a pressure test. My funds are tight.
And several times not long after starting it would buck/surge when at parking lot speed. I didn't own it long before this happened so I didn't have time to get to know the truck (if that makes sense).

Old 08-21-2018 | 01:22 PM
BF Veteran

The fuel gauge quitting and/or bucking/sputtering while underway can be symptoms of a pending fuel pump failure. Mine did both of those things just before it quit at around 100,000 miles. Running out of gas has been reported to cause fuel pump issues due to sediment and/or overheating but repeated episodes of running out of gas (don't ask) did not cause problems for our truck. If you decide to replace your fuel pump, use only AC Delco or Delphi. Bargain brands have a LOT of problems and you don't want to do this job more than once. My Delphi replacement has over 100,000 miles on it, equal to the OEM pump.

A simple but inconclusive test is to see if you have any pressure at the fuel rail after KOEO. A fuel gauge is best but a rag and screwdriver tip (lightly) on the schrader core under the cap on the fuel rail at the engine to see if you have any pressure. Be very careful that you don't spray gas everywhere and wear glasses. A complete lack of pressure confirms a major problem, some pressure does not tell you much. The full blown fuel pressure test in the sticky above is best if you can afford or borrow a gauge.

Another thing you can do cheaply is check for spark when you have a crank/no start condition. Pull a plug and use either a grounded spark tester (best and pretty cheap) or a screwdriver into the spark plug wire boot and brought to within an inch of a grounding point - not near any gas or fumes. You should have 1" of bright blue spark while cranking.

Report back.

George

Old 09-06-2018 | 07:25 AM
|
Beginning Member

Well, I dug in and replaced the fuel pump. When I pulled it out it was jb welded together. Put the new one in and after a little charge of the battery, the thing started up first try. The only bad part was getting bit by ants in my buddy's yard while underneath it. After the first fifty bites, I started going into anaphylactic shock but by God I got it done. Thanks,. Stuart

Old 09-06-2018 | 09:10 AM
BF Veteran

I hope that does it and your done with it. That repair definitely does not need red ants to make it a sporty job, that’s just wrong. My father, then in his eighties was visiting in Florida where red ants are everywhere. He was standing in a pile and they crawled up his pants, socks and underwear. For the rest of his life he referred to them as those little bast#@$’s. - and he was a construction guy that fought in two wars!

George

Old 09-07-2018 | 09:19 AM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks George. Yeah, it made a tough job a short burst of hell, but it was worth it considering I've was without a car for a month. Walking will keep a person young, but, driving is so convenient. Anyway, thanks for the advice George and your time.