2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low Fuel Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 11:21 AM
|
Beginning Member
DVS Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Low Fuel Light?

ORIGINAL: blazin97

there isnt one on the 97.

Chevy is unbelievable! AS-IF there is no low fuel light [:@]

Old 03-13-2006 | 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

and you need an idiot light to tell you to get gas?

Old 03-13-2006 | 11:35 AM
|
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Um since I don't drive the exact same mileage and go the exact same places everyday.......yes I do as would most people.
You cannot tell me you know the exact mileage at which point it's time to pull over and fill it up with gas can you? What do you do for long distance trips? Just assume that once it gets to 1/4 tank then it's time to fill up? or do you constantly keep checking the gauge every 50miles? If so congrats!! I'd rather keep my eyes on the road and pay attention to driving and let a low fuel light remind me.

I think it's dumb that there is no low fuel light on any vehicle produced in 1997.....especially one that has features such as power seats, power windows, power locks, push button 4x4, RPM gauge etc.... Heck my 1986 Camry that had absoultey no power options even came with a low fuel light.
Chevy overlooked this period.

Old 03-13-2006 | 04:02 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Just assume that once it gets to 1/4 tank then it's time to fill up? or do you constantly keep checking the gauge every 50 miles?]
If I'm at a 1/4 tank, in 60 miles it's time to add fuel. A quick glance at the fuel guage won't make anyone crash. Well, some people.

I think it's dumb that there is no low fuel light on any vehicle produced in 1997
Yeah, it's odd they didn't include one for that year.

Old 03-13-2006 | 04:41 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: DVS Blazer

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Um since I don't drive the exact same mileage and go the exact same places everyday.......yes I do as would most people.
You cannot tell me you know the exact mileage at which point it's time to pull over and fill it up with gas can you? What do you do for long distance trips? Just assume that once it gets to 1/4 tank then it's time to fill up? or do you constantly keep checking the gauge every 50miles? If so congrats!! I'd rather keep my eyes on the road and pay attention to driving and let a low fuel light remind me.

I think it's dumb that there is no low fuel light on any vehicle produced in 1997.....especially one that has features such as power seats, power windows, power locks, push button 4x4, RPM gauge etc.... Heck my 1986 Camry that had absoultey no power options even came with a low fuel light.
Chevy overlooked this period.
I don't have a low fuel light, and I would never need one anyway, since it's not a good idea to go too low on your gas anyway. I always fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 left. I really don't want to get into the issues that chugging all the gunk in the bottom of your tank into your fuel system creates. I think low fuel lights are for people that are asking for repairs on their vehicles.

Old 03-13-2006 | 05:24 PM
|
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: m00nwater
I think low fuel lights are for people that are asking for repairs on their vehicles.
Do you have any substancial proof or article that running with fuel below 1/8th is harmful to the fuel pump? I have heard that it's tough on 5L Mustangs as the fuel is used to cool the pump but the Blazer is far far from a performance vehicle and should not have to rely on a full fuel tank in order to have a healthy life. If you or anyone does then I would be interested and would change my fuel buying habits. Right now I run it down to the red before filling up. I then reset the trip odometer and keep track of how many km's I'm getting per tank. I know it starts to run dry around 380km at which point I fill it up. I just think it's kind of ancient tech for a ~ modern SUV.
I love the fact that higher end vehicles such as Audi actually tell you how many km/miles you have left before your fuel runs dry.

...and what about the infamous CEL or Brake light or Battery Light or the Coolant or etc... they're all there for the convience of the driver as a friendly reminder. Yes not 100% necessary but are helpful as these things can and are overlooked by people everyday and not everyone is always willing to think about how much brake pads they have left or how much coolant or gas or oil is there.

Old 03-13-2006 | 06:02 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Granted, the pickup screen for the fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank and pulls from there, but it may not get ALL the crap out.

The bigger issue is the condensation that could build in your tank, particularily in cold weather. There is less exposed surface area inside the tank where condensation could occur to contaminate the fuel with rust particles and water when you have more gas in the tank. Since you live in Ottawa I'd say you're in a cold climate and this would affect you.

Running out of gas is stressful to the fuel pump as well. An empty fuel tank will hinder the cooling of the fuel pump, since the fuel is used to cool the system.

Another advantage to keeping your tank at no less than 1/4 is that you never have to worry about running out of gas. That way, you don't have to keep checking constantly and be afraid of crashing.

I'm not disagreeing with you that GM is lacking in features. I'm just saying that if you want to lengthen the lifespan of their vehicle you may not want to drive to empty. But I think you made the point when you said:

higher end vehicles
GM's AREN'T Audi's. If they were, we'd be paying much more for them.

Like I said, I agree that GM vehicles lack in features, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-13-2006 | 06:58 PM
|
Beginning Member

Good stuff! Thanks

Old 03-13-2006 | 07:50 PM
Administrator

I just noticed...you're only getting 380 kms?! Wow, that's pretty bad. Mine's getting 425-450 kms when I fill up at 1/8 tank, it's 4 years older than yours AND it has cracks in the manifolds. Do you drive right in Ottawa all the time, or on the highway? I travel 35 kms to Scarborough every day on the 401 and do some in-town driving as well. Maybe I drive like a granny compared to you though I'm just really surprised your mileage is not even hitting 400 kms at least.

Old 03-14-2006 | 04:21 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I noticed my low on beer lamp came on.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light?