2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low Fuel Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 10:03 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Low Fuel Light?

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

I noticed my low on beer lamp came on.
I hope it's installed in your navel. That would be cool. [8D]

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:25 AM
|
Beginning Member
DVS Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

I just noticed...you're only getting 380 kms?! Wow, that's pretty bad. Mine's getting 425-450 kms when I fill up at 1/8 tank, it's 4 years older than yours AND it has cracks in the manifolds. Do you drive right in Ottawa all the time, or on the highway? I travel 35 kms to Scarborough every day on the 401 and do some in-town driving as well. Maybe I drive like a granny compared to you though I'm just really surprised your mileage is not even hitting 400 kms at least.

Yep 380km's on a full tank. I work in downtown Ottawa where there's a lot of stop and go traffic, that and the fact that it's winter and I have the heater on level 3 all the time and let it warm up I'll bet doesn't help my fuel mileage. I'm hoping for some better mileage when the weather get's warmer.
When I first got it I would only get 250-270km/per tank until I replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap/rotor, and the O2 sensor etc.... general tune-up.

I once drove to Mt. Tremblant and back and got close to 600km's which I thought was pretty good.

Old 03-14-2006 | 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife
I noticed my low on beer lamp came on.
I hope it's installed in your navel. That would be cool. [8D]
Mine's was a heads-up-display in my glasses! Then I got laser eye surgery so while they were at it, I had them permanently install a hud in my left eye. LOL

Old 03-14-2006 | 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: DVS Blazer

I think low fuel lights are for people that are asking for repairs on their vehicles.
Do you have any substancial proof or article that running with fuel below 1/8th is harmful to the fuel pump? I have heard that it's tough on 5L Mustangs as the fuel is used to cool the pump but the Blazer is far far from a performance vehicle and should not have to rely on a full fuel tank in order to have a healthy life. If you or anyone does then I would be interested and would change my fuel buying habits. Right now I run it down to the red before filling up. I then reset the trip odometer and keep track of how many km's I'm getting per tank. I know it starts to run dry around 380km at which point I fill it up. I just think it's kind of ancient tech for a ~ modern SUV.
I love the fact that higher end vehicles such as Audi actually tell you how many km/miles you have left before your fuel runs dry.

...and what about the infamous CEL or Brake light or Battery Light or the Coolant or etc... they're all there for the convience of the driver as a friendly reminder. Yes not 100% necessary but are helpful as these things can and are overlooked by people everyday and not everyone is always willing to think about how much brake pads they have left or how much coolant or gas or oil is there.

YES, your fuel pump is lubricated by the gas in your tank. If your gas has water your fuel pump is not getting the proper lubriacation. Running on low fuel al the time means that the pump will actually suck air at times, you may not feel it while driving becuase of the amount of fuel prssure, however it is happeneing. Sucking air has no lubrication, eventually you will be replacing your fuel pump. Not too mention if your gas has water in it, it could freeze. More gas in the tank less likely it will freeze.

I know how many miles I have left when I get to a 1/4 tank of gas.

What is the difference in watching for a low fuel light or looking at the guage, they both serve the same purpose, yet you insist on wiating for the low fuel light to come on before you worry about gas.

CEL is needed, it is the only indicator you have of engine trouble.
Brake light is also needed, if it comes on you more then likely have a brake leak. Without the light you might not realize it until its too late.
Battery light is to indicate your alternator needs attention. This is not the same as the battety volt gauge, which shows the charge of the battery, not the alternator. Each gauge has a purpose, and gauges are better then idiot lights, but idiot lights are better then nothing. All of them have a reason and purpose, and in most cases it is your only warning.

I suppose you also need an idiot light to tell you your tires are low on air pressure. Yes, that is the newest feature for safety reasons.

Old 03-14-2006 | 01:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Hanr3
I suppose you also need an idiot light to tell you your tires are low on air pressure. Yes, that is the newest feature for safety reasons.
My Bonneville came with a tire pressure monitor. The damn thing can notice a 3psi deviation. I believe it works by comparing the speed sensor output for each tire. As the pressure decreases, the rotational speed of the low tire has to increase due to the 'squish' of the tire. If one is too far off the average, it'll display a 'low tire pressure' message. Not really a feature that I needed and I've only had it trip once. One tire was 3psi lower than the rest. That was right after I bought the car. I check my tire pressures way too much for it to ever happen again.

Old 03-14-2006 | 02:12 PM
|
Beginning Member
DVS Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Ya that would be nice. Welcome to the new age of automotive innovations Hanr3. I suppose you think carburated engines are better than EFI? What about an RPM gauge as well? You probably consider that an "idiot gauge" and claim to have acute hearing that can notice the difference in a 500RPM deviation per norm?

Yes I feel a low fuel warning light should be standard on all vehicles, yes I felt it was overlooked, yes I know nothing can be done about it at this point. That's my opinion and you need to set yourself up with some priorities ASAP if you feel you have to jump all over me for complaining about the absence of a low fuel light in an SUV that comes with almost every other option imaginable.

Started off as a simple question and I don't value any of your input so you can keep it to yourself.

Thanks,

Old 03-14-2006 | 02:14 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to pick on you or anybody for that matter.

I just find it ironic that people wait till the idiot light comes on to take action.

Yes, you should be checking your gauges and mirrors every 10-15 seconds. Both are there as early warnings of potential problems.

Old 03-14-2006 | 02:23 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I just find it ironic that people wait till the idiot light comes on to take action.
Not ironic at all. But not the least uncommon. Some people need to be told what to do. (can't think for themselves.) THats why they're installed.

Old 03-14-2006 | 02:41 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: DVS Blazer
Ya that would be nice. Welcome to the new age of automotive innovations Hanr3. I suppose you think carburated engines are better than EFI? What about an RPM gauge as well? You probably consider that an "idiot gauge" and claim to have acute hearing that can notice the difference in a 500RPM deviation per norm?

Yes I feel a low fuel warning light should be standard on all vehicles, yes I felt it was overlooked, yes I know nothing can be done about it at this point. That's my opinion and you need to set yourself up with some priorities ASAP if you feel you have to jump all over me for complaining about the absence of a low fuel light in an SUV that comes with almost every other option imaginable.

Started off as a simple question and I don't value any of your input so you can keep it to yourself.

Thanks,
That was quite un-called for. Tim was in no way insulting you. I very much value what he has to say. Tim has been a very informational contributor here, much more than I have seen from you.

You don't like his views, that's fine, but don't, in so many words, tell him to shut up. You don't have any right to do so.

Old 03-14-2006 | 02:52 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks Swart.

No, I like the modern age of vehicles. Things like EFI are great. I have spent time trying to get a carb to work right. Now you just need replace a part and go, no worry that it is tuned right. the puter takes care of that.

I am not sold on the new tire pressure monitor system yet. I have mixed views on it. On the one hand, some will stop checking tire pressure figuring the system will do it for them. On the other it is a great early warning that you have a flat tire. Especially if you have run flat tires.

I do prefer gauges over idiot lights. They provide more information, idiot lights don't tell you crap.

Sorry if you felt I was attacking you, not my intent. Just trying to indicate why using the low fuel light isn't a good idea. There are ramifications to it. I am not saying I don't do the same thing. I know that when my low fuel light comes on I have 3 gallons of fuel left. I also know that in my wifes car when the low fuel light comes on, you have one gallon left.

And yes, I can tell when my engine rpms deviate from the norm. Habit you get into when your trying to tune an engine without a tach, or test instruments, especially on a carb'd engine. I know by engine sound when it should shift, I also know when something is wrong, just by listening to the engine. I am a gearhead and have been for several decades. I can even tell when my a/c compressor kicks on by listening to the engine. I also know it will mkae my rpms jump by 50 as she kicks on. My idol is 550 without a/c. In fact my radio is never loader then my engine. I like to hear what my engine is doing. I can usually tell when there is a problem long before my CEL comes on.

and I would like to add, I value everyones opinion. We all see things differnetly. Sometimes getting a different persepctive on things opens your eyes to things you didn't see before. If we never questioned things, nothign would ever change.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light?