2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low power/no acceleration after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

What is the fuel filter sensor? Refer: "replaced fuel filter sensor". I have heard of a fuel regulator, but not a fuel filter sensor.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
spittybays

To the best of my knowledge there is no such animal on these trucks. Think he used the wrong term for whatever it was he did replace.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Beginning Member
Captain Spaulding is on a distinguished road

i meant fuel filter AND sensor after sensor(throttle position,air idle control valve, map)

Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member
tondox1 is on a distinguished road

Ok, new update.
Finally made it back in town from work to drop my truck off at the shop. Mechanic took a look at the Distributer assembly/Timing and said everything was new or looked fine after inspection. even said the timing was "Spot-On".

after a test drive, he experienced the symptom (Low power upon acceleration complimented with loud fan noise, once vehicle has been warmed up or driven for a few mile) After this, he gave a Fuel Pressure test and said it was a little on the low side, but not real, real, real bad (52psi). So his diagnosis was the Fuel Pump.

$900 later, I picked up my truck and drove about 5 miles.... and yes, the symptom showed up again...

For a refresher, the Cat, Muffler, all 3 Oxygen sensors, Distributer, Distributer cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plug, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, MAF, MAP, (plus a few more sensors)... ALL NEW!!!

Truck does run pretty solid for first several miles. but after that, something keeps telling my truck to allow more air flow to happen under the hood. or maybe its more fuel (but I cant smell a strong odor)? I don't know for sure.... was starting to think its oil pressure related since I have a small oil leak on my oil cooler lines. or even an electrical issue.

any help is much appreciated!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

I would think that the loud fan noise is just the fan clutch kicking in, maybe the engine is getting a little too warm.. Of course many things could cause that. If the fan is kicking in, it will be loud and definitely drain your power, as its a mechanical clutch driven fan. Nothing electrical controls the fan. So either your engine is getting warm enough to warrant the clutch to kick the fan on full speed, or their something up with your fan clutch itself.

That's just my opinion, but that's where I would start!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Jakeduece
I would think that the loud fan noise is just the fan clutch kicking in, maybe the engine is getting a little too warm.. Of course many things could cause that. If the fan is kicking in, it will be loud and definitely drain your power, as its a mechanical clutch driven fan. Nothing electrical controls the fan. So either your engine is getting warm enough to warrant the clutch to kick the fan on full speed, or their something up with your fan clutch itself.

That's just my opinion, but that's where I would start!

I appreciate the feedback. I did replace the Fan Clutch already. about a month ago. So that is brand new as well.
I do agree with the fact that the engine is getting too warm to the point of making it "run sluggish/low power and kicking on the fan".
since the shop has my truck right now, I am unable to verify fluid levels, sensor readings, etc.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
ryansim2025 is on a distinguished road

I keep reading this thread hoping to get a revelation about something to check or clean or do to remedy this issue in my 2000 ZR2. I'm going to clean the MAP, MAF and ERG valve today and see if any of that helps. I have the same issue, but mine doesn't need to be warm or driven at all for the sluggishness to appear. I can take off right from my driveway, and if I accelerate hard, it bogs down between 1800-2800 RPM, and then above that all the power returns. I'm stumped, but this is a good thread and I see a lot of people are getting more informed about our trucks. On another note, I've got the Torque app and Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, what sensors/readings will i be looking for in the program? As far as i know i can't use it to do a fuel pressure test, so I'm curious how this could help me (I have no CEL currently).

Last edited by ryansim2025; 09-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ryansim2025
I keep reading this thread hoping to get a revelation about something to check or clean or do to remedy this issue in my 2000 ZR2. I'm going to clean the MAP, MAF and ERG valve today and see if any of that helps. I have the same issue, but mine doesn't need to be warm or driven at all for the sluggishness to appear. I can take off right from my driveway, and if I accelerate hard, it bogs down between 1800-2800 RPM, and then above that all the power returns. I'm stumped, but this is a good thread and I see a lot of people are getting more informed about our trucks. On another note, I've got the Torque app and Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, what sensors/readings will i be looking for in the program? As far as i know i can't use it to do a fuel pressure test, so I'm curious how this could help me (I have no CEL currently).
Monitor the fuel trims STFT. That gives a good indication on how the engine is running. Your fuel trims should be in the +/- single digit numbers. If your getting readings over +/- 10% then you have a problem.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
cliff604 is on a distinguished road
Default New member to the club

Hi guys I have a 96 with the same issue's I bought it with a rod knock, and figured I would put in a crank kit and my son would have a nice truck Motor is back in and runs great good oil pressure ect. seems to heat up and bam same thing only other thing I noticed is timing is off like 16 % My guess is this is what caused the motor to spin bearings in the first place driving it like this. Double checked all grounds and timing many times I hope someone has a answer soon

Old 09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cliff604
Hi guys I have a 96 with the same issue's I bought it with a rod knock, and figured I would put in a crank kit and my son would have a nice truck Motor is back in and runs great good oil pressure ect. seems to heat up and bam same thing only other thing I noticed is timing is off like 16 % My guess is this is what caused the motor to spin bearings in the first place driving it like this. Double checked all grounds and timing many times I hope someone has a answer soon

I took my truck to get this problem looked at with the dealership. Along with an oil change, they replaced the "Distributor". They said the bushings were worn down, and it was adjusted to "Retard". Once I got the truck back, it ran great for 60miles, then the symptom showed up. So I brought the vehicle back to them. 5 days later, They called me up and said they couldn't get the symptom to surface? So I went and picked it up, Drove ALL OVER town in the heat. Nothing surfaced until 160miles later. This is the best and longest my truck has ran without any symptom showing up. usually it starts the symptoms around 10-20miles. And im not sure if they topped off the truck with oil, or re-tightened something?

Hope this helps narrow down your troubles...

Quick Reply: Low power/no acceleration after warmed up