2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lumbar and Heated Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Lumbar and Heated Seat Switch

Gonna sound like an odd question, but my blazer's lumbar switch is broken and jammed all the way on. I can increase lumbar, but when I try to decrease it the switch just feels like it goes through a hole. I found an LT at a junk yard with a similar control, but can't find out how to get the switch off!

I tried just prying at it with no luck, looked under for a screw of some sort and saw nothing, what is holding on that plastic portion under the seat! I've only found one blazer with this switch at a junk yard (seems like that yards here only have LS, come on someone throw out their LT near me), and spent a while trying to get it off. Has anyone removed this part before? The blazer is sitting in the dirt with no tires so it is already awkward looking under the seat.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but mine also has the memory settings 1 and 2, which the blazer I found did not have, but the control switch for lumbar and heated seats looked the same.

Car Details: 2001 Blazer LT 4Door 4WD

Last edited by LuckyAce; 11-11-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

Got a call from the scrap yard telling me they went ahead and pulled the part for me (charged me another $10 for the labor). Got there and it was the wrong part off a different car . So I took the guy into the yard, showed him the car I wanted it from and asked if he could also show me how to replace it myself, and to my surprise that extra $10 labor got me a quick walk through on how to replace the part (which was a lot more complicated then I thought). Figured since I can't find much aid online I'll post the basics here.

This is for a 2001 Blazer 4-Door LT (With Sunroof, seems to make a difference)

1) Remove the plastic side panel by pulling hard on it. It is held on by two tabs, you can feel for them and try to focus your pulling near them. Both tabs are near the center of the panel and towards the top.

2) For the lumbar heated seat switch there will be two screws on the sides holding it onto the side of the seat. The seat adjustment switch is held onto the side panel by a couple tabs, simply use a flat head screw driver and pry up the tabs.

Now the fun part, unplugging it

3) Both plugs are hard to find without removing the seat cushion, which in the end the guy ended up doing. To remove the seat cushion there are 3 tabs around the side of the seat along the metal lip. Take a flat head screw driver and push down on these tabs to free them. When he removed the cushion he only took off the front and the side tabs and told me the rear tab is a pain and not worth the effort.

4) After removing the seat cushion you'll have a much easier time following the wires to the port they are plugged into. The port is the same as most if not all electronic ports on the car that I've ran into. One side will have a tab holding onto the other, simply lift this side up with a flat head screw driver.

5) Finally, once unplugged feed the wire out from under the seat.

Installation is simply this in reverse, or so I hope it is. I'd recommend having the seat fully lifted up and tilted back, this will give you a bit more room to look under the seat and put your hand there.

I've only seen the one type of Blazer with this switch on it, every LS I saw had a manual lever, and every LT but this one was missing the lumbar and heated seat switch. I talked with the scrap yard guy who showed me how to take it out, and he said it was the first he's ever seen, but he believes the the Chevy Silverado has the same switch.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 11-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:09 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Did the sunroof get packaged with the leather seats? I don't think I've ever seen heated fabric seats as they might be a fire hazard. Mine is 2001 LT with fabric seats and no sunroof. Has power lumber but no heat. Also, mine does not have memory seats. Interesting. Looks like there were several levels of options. Thanks for posting.