2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The hole in the bottom of the air box is a water drain, and it must be clear, (no plug).

Imperial maxi-kool #243012 trans cooler fits perfectly in front of the A/C condenser, on the passenger side of the hood latch brace. Totally bypass the OEM cooler in the radiator, and mount the new cooler horizontally with the line connections behind the hood latch brace. Both of my Blazers, (and several others) are set up like that, and trans fluid temp never goes higher than 60F above ambient! Helps A/C performance and engine cooling in high ambient temps too!

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-21-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default IAC Sensor

Ok Captain did it again today in the morning cold
1 Outside temp 65 Deg,
2 IAC Sensor 66 deg,
3 ECT 62 Deg,
4 TFT 62 Deg,

Went to hardware sit there Idling and took readings
1 Outside temp 65 Deg,
2 IAC Sensor 84 deg,
3 ECT Sensor 195 Deg,
4 Tft Sensor 114 Deg,
Shut it off did my shopping then came back to the car started it.
1 Outside Temp 65 Deg,
2 IAC 104 Deg,
3 ECT Sensor 194 Deg,
4 TFT Sensor 123 Deg,
And since plugging that hole in the air box and possibly putting the IAT in all the way don't know for positive.One thing I do know is Captain since yesterday the reading are good cold key on but are they supposed to remain that way when the engine compartment is so warm you know the ECT never went above its norm of 195 Deg,Also 6 drives so far and no MIL should have had 3-4 by now.
And the oil pressure is still good it lowers a little hot and Idling but touch the gas and its right up there Well got to pull that air box one more time got some silicone to remove.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 04-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Default Iac

Ok Captain I have learned to trust your suggestions don't know why the MAF keeps setting the Mil not the IAT.But the new IAC is on the way so out of curiosity is there a way to test the IAT.Plugged in or not.Again started the car again today MIL on went to store shopped and then left MIL went off while driving and has stayed off through two more stores and two more starts way milder temps of 68 Deg.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Disconnect the sensor from the vehicle harness when testing.
This chart works for ECT and IAT sensors:

Attached Thumbnails MAF Sensor-ectactresistancetable.jpg  
Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Default Iat

This is good thank you Captain I will test tomorrow cold first by the ambient temp and then test worn witch is 195 the stant thermostat works great has since installation 6-8 months ago Been rite on the money.1 thing I don't understand is how the other day after taking apart the air box then reassemble.
the car ran for two days a 6-7 Ignition cycles with out once failing or turning on the light then on the 8 th start nothing but wile running it tripped the mill.And now going on three days with no mil it reset itself when things cooled down here in mid 50s and 60s and going on three days at about 6-8 ignition cycles no mil.I will do the OHM,s readings but don't under stand how it works when it wants and don't when it don't want to.Might be as simple as when it heats up enough it sets the mill but remember the mil is being set by a code PO102 the mass air flow not the IAT but I understand your years at this that why I should be receiving my new IAT very soon probably Monday or next day.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 AM
Default The new gm IAT Sensor

Ok capt got it at the office delivered the day before.But that chart will help me to understand more on how it has been working fine since the temp change see that gives me something to go by as to the failure of the sensor.Don't know for sure if I am even on the rite tract.Its been three days now starting in the upper 60 deg,s then next day went to the upper 50 Deg,s Then today in the mid 40 deg,s and no mill light nothing the engine seems to be running the exact same temp of the Stant thermostat has kept the Engine at a 195 deg, no variance no change in the car at all that I can notice yet.But Like I said I would like to know how for sure the old one is bad and the new one is good.would it be the temp variance of just a couple degrees from one to the other like you kept telling me like when the air outside was about 88,deg,s the incoming air should have been like 86 deg,s no more then a couple of difference on especially the IAT at those outside temps because if the temp was 154 deg,s it wouldn't take long to fry my trans and the engine

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Default Iat

OK Captain got the new one now but am going on three days since the temp,s dropped from upper 80,s and the old one hasn't turned on the MIL at all.Still put in the new in one all was fine all day untill it got up to 59 Deg,then the light came back on even with the new IAT in. It stayed on for about 20 minutes and then turned off just as quick as it turned on.even in 59 DEG,s.tryed the OHM test on both but they just climbed up rapidly and then dropped rapidly couldn't tell for sure what the reading was on either But a quick question why does the DTC keep saying the MAF hasn't run yet this cycle. I still have the original and when I get to the garage to build the smokers I have parts for I was going to put back the original and if for some reason it works I will return the new one from O'rileys If that is the case it cost me $120.00

Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Thumbs down Iat

Ok Captain going to try that cold IAT Sensor reading again for you this time its with a factory one from GM
Outside temp 59 deg,s
IAT Sensor 64 DEG,
ECT 53 Deg,
TFT 53 Deg,
. This was cold first start of the morning after replacing the IAT Sensor put it in yesterday drove fine for about 20 minutes then on goes the Mil for you guessed it PO102 Mass air flow sensor.But them short time after that the Mil went off.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Default Iat

Captain you know as to why you said it must be the Iat or better worded could be The IAT so I replaced it and had the same problem 20 minutes later.But I was reading through those awesome manuals that a very wise man told me I should purchase and have been grateful ever since.I was reading about the MAF sensor and how it will have intermittent problems like the MAF Sensor setting a code and then taking two or three ignitions to clear the Maf and the Mil as well real similar to the issues I have been experiencing and ever since replacing that part with one from o'rileys auto parts.this has been going on but it don't explain the heat under hood because everything is working fine.So for now will keep trouble shooting untill I can get and install the origanal bach k into the car because wose to say oriley's might not have the same freekencys as the origanal does.So I guess we will wait and see that is unless you have a way for me to send the site some pic,s of my awsome invention the painter sprayer smoker dye tester and vacume tester as well.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Default Iat

Well Captain its going on two days with out a mil but the temps have been in the 40,s 50, and low 60,s but no mill setting 80,s and above will just have to wait hope its cured but have a feeling about what I read in the manual on the MAF Sensor and how it will set the mil like mine then clear itself 2 or 3 ignitions later but as I said rite now all is still well going on two days without a mil or DTC.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor