2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAF Sensor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member
FarmBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default MAF Sensor malfunction

Hey, got a longstanding issue with my MAF sensor. Now, the issues I have about this problem are 1) the MAF sensors on these are so touchy that I dont know if the actual sensor is bad and 2) the MAF is extremely expensive unless I pull one from a junkyard. The issues that are caused by this are: after cold start, shift from 1st to 2nd is rough and engine almost cuts out. Does not stay in OD unless going 45mph+. Will bounce back and forth between 3rd and OD (normally will slide into OD at 35 and stay there until it drops below 30 or needs to downshift for acceleration). Slightly rougher idle than normal. Now, I cleaned the sensor multiple times, to no avail. I run it without at the moment, and it runs fine except it throws a check engine, and since it is a 96, that is gona cause me to fail inspection come September. I am also throwing a catalytic converter code, have a new Magnaflow cat (bout a year and a half old) and Flowmaster 44. Also changed the downstream O2 sensor with no luck. I installed a CAI about a month ago as well since my intake was damaged during some repair work. I have heard of these having issues similar to this when they have a vacuum leak, which I have. I do not have it 100% located, but it appears to be from the fuel pressure regulator body on top of the intake manifold. Now, I am having a bit of trouble finding the fuel pressure regulator body for sale to replace mine with, and also want to know 1) how hard/chance of ****ing something up and 2) where I can get one and 3) does this sound right to you guys as a diag? Dont have much money at all to throw around, and want my baby running as good as possible, also want to pass inspection so I can get past that and start saving to do some more goodies to it, including dual out Flowmaster 10, fixing my A/C, tires and body lift, and PCM tune when all that is done. My funds are low now, but I am going to college and when out of there I will go straight into a good-paying job and have some more expendable income. Any help would be amazing, love my Blazer and wana keep her happy.