2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Major electrics problem..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
ronkrolock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Major electrics problem..?

Hi

I'm interested in buying a 1999 Blazer which has been advertised as 'spares or repair' because of a major electrical fault. I was interested to use it for parts for my Blazer, but I wondered if it was worth saving if the fault could be easily diagnosed. Does anyone have any ideas of what it might be? The symptoms are, in the words of the owner:

"I suspect that the security system has got it's logic messed up - all sorts of odd things happen when you turn on the ignition, but it is not consistent. Main symptom (apart from no hope of turning the engine) is a clicking and buzzing sometimes from one of the relay boxes somewhere behind the glove compartment. This is is exacerbated by switching on the hazard warnings or operating the door locks(!?)"

Apparently the odometer is not lighting, either, so sounds like dash lights are out, too. Vehicle is immobile.

Any of you Blazer wizards out there have any ideas?

Cheers
Lee

Old 03-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

If the relay buzz's when the key is first turned on, then it's a good chance it's your fuel pump relay. Either a bad relay, or low voltage to the relay.

Other electrical anomalies...tied in with the buzzing relay, suggests bad connections with the battery, grounds, fuse box in the engine bay.

Start with the battery and work your way in.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Low voltage to components could also be caused by a failing or failed ignition switch. I know I sound like a broken record when I suggest this, but it is a known fault with these trucks.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Beginning Member
ronkrolock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks for the advice

Hi. Thanks to those who gave me the advice about this. Sorry for the late response. The Blazer was on Ebay and I now regret not bidding, as it only made £380 ! I've just spent more than that in spares for the rear brakes! Cheers. Lee.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Low voltage to components could also be caused by a failing or failed ignition switch. I know I sound like a broken record when I suggest this, but it is a known fault with these trucks.
Does anyone have any photo 'How To's' to replace the ignition switch? It's not an issue now but I like to be prepared.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked in the Tech Article (DIY) section?