2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

misfire PO304 with new engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member
trad444 is on a distinguished road

I got my miss fixed I had a worn out distributer drive gear. Does anyone have actual spec for spark advance and cam retard readings on scan tools for these engines?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
the P1100 and P700 codes are transmission codes from the factory i have them too...nothing to worry about..if i get a chance to look at it with a scan tool i will let you know
yes, please let me know if you can hook up a scan tool to see if your timing is dancing around still with the new motor. it really really help me and others a lot. just curious, did marshall give you a new distributor or distributor gear at any time during these 2 replacement engines you had?

Originally Posted by trad444
I got my miss fixed I had a worn out distributer drive gear. Does anyone have actual spec for spark advance and cam retard readings on scan tools for these engines?
holy cow, really? the misfire totally went away? just curious, was your misfire at idle or when you accelerate the idle between 1000-2000k RPM's ? also what did the worn out distributor gear look like? and where did you buy the new gear from? please let me know
thanks so much

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-11-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

I got my gear from a local parts house. Just make sure its a USA made gear they tend to sell some cheap crap. The teeth on the gear were just getting chewed away. If you pull your distributer out mark the rotor in relation to the distrib body with some yellow paint or something bright so you can see it. You will know 2 seconds if the gear is worn out. Mine would miss at highway speeds and @ 1000 rpm with the air on in park. A 10mm distrib. wrench or a 1/4 10MM chrome universal joint socket and a set of roll pin punches is a must. Oh my DTC's where P0300/P0304

Here is picture I found, mine was no where near this bad

Last edited by trad444; 08-12-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

The only parts Marshall engines supplies with a long block is the complete gasket set and oil pump..If anyone is going to go this route be aware in order for the 3 year warranty to be valid you have to buy a new timing cover if its the plastic one and new oil lines..I purchased everything including new radiator ,water pump, thermostat,temp sensor,and spider injector/nut kit...

I still have not checked the timing with a scan tool because there is no need because shes running great. on the first engine it ran great too but had a misfire only at idle and im still useing the same distributor with this engine.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you solved your issue!!! Sorry you had to swap the motor to do it, Mine is still running strong!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by trad444
I got my gear from a local parts house. Just make sure its a USA made gear they tend to sell some cheap crap. The teeth on the gear were just getting chewed away. If you pull your distributer out mark the rotor in relation to the distrib body with some yellow paint or something bright so you can see it. You will know 2 seconds if the gear is worn out. Mine would miss at highway speeds and @ 1000 rpm with the air on in park. A 10mm distrib. wrench or a 1/4 10MM chrome universal joint socket and a set of roll pin punches is a must. Oh my DTC's where P0300/P0304

Here is picture I found, mine was no where near this bad
i pulled my distributor out, but the gear doesnt look that bad. unless the wear is measured in thousands of an inch or something... its shiny where the teeth touch and the shiny part is located on the bottom of the gears teeth. i bought a new gear from A/C Delco with a new roll pin, shim, and tang washer. but i did not install it yet. i was thinking of doing it togehter when i change the intake gaskets because my coolant disappears from time to time... just curious can you get a picture of your old distributor gear? what year is your truck? thanks so much

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

mine was a 99 If my camera wants to copoerate I'll get one tonight. how were the bushings could you move the rotor from side to side?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's more wear than I would like to see, but it does not look too awful excessive. You just have to hope that the drive gear on the cam does not look equally as bad. If it does, then the two combined could cause issues.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

I would think the cam "should" be harder than that cast gear.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
The only parts Marshall engines supplies with a long block is the complete gasket set and oil pump..If anyone is going to go this route be aware in order for the 3 year warranty to be valid you have to buy a new timing cover if its the plastic one and new oil lines..I purchased everything including new radiator ,water pump, thermostat,temp sensor,and spider injector/nut kit...

I still have not checked the timing with a scan tool because there is no need because shes running great. on the first engine it ran great too but had a misfire only at idle and im still useing the same distributor with this engine.
well its only to help us other guys out there that have a 1995 with the timing jumping around all over the place.... it would really tell the whole story if it suppose to being doing that or not.... i personally think that if your timing is jumping around all over the place on the scanner, then you have slack somewhere like the distributor gear or the timing chain.... but thanks anyway

Quick Reply: misfire PO304 with new engine