2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I don't think the system is going into closed loop at all. Certainly its not controlling fuel mix. Fuel trim is not responding to o2 sensors that are not crossing 0.45v. I'll try to research this a bit more sometime this weekend and devise a strategy. Sorry but lots do before Christmas.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-21-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I don't think the system is going into closed loop at all. Certainly its not controlling fuel mix. Fuel trim is not responding to o2 sensors that are not crossing 0.45v. I'll try to research this a bit more sometime this weekend and devise a strategy. Sorry but lots do before Christmas.
Stranger things have happened, though the screenshot was at least saying it went into closed loop and was using O2.. but yea the fuel trim lines barely wavered from what I can see.
I appreciate your, everyone's, help. I am going to try the reset and turn the manual idle screw down to see if I can keep the idle code of and do some cycles and get the tests. Just verified my last retest day is 12/28.
Thank you

Old 12-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Doubledown
Regarding the spider leaking it seems to me that may be that the seal is leaking some of the regular pulse amounts of fuel into the top of the lower intake manifold, not necessarily over spraying into the cylinders. This would put raw fuel into the case and I suppose back into the intake and later finding its way back into the intake and throwing of the O2s. How would this effect the fuel trim readings if at all?
If fuel portion is not being delivered into a combustion chamber, then the O2 detects lean condition and trim will go positive. Yet, when the fuel finds it way to the combustion chamber, it will be the treated as extra amount and a negative trim would appear. As far, as I remember, You said it's one side of the intake, so one bank fuel trims should vary from the other one.
But in regards of what Les said (on open loop, while Torque says it's closed), I assume the information presented my ECM may be misleading at this point. I would rather postpone this discussion till we are sure of what is actually happening there.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Testing on my own vehicle I found the iac and egr pids on Torque Pro to not work on my Blazer.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Testing on my own vehicle I found the iac and egr pids on Torque Pro to not work on my Blazer.
thanks for checking.. So I am left to assume that the IAC is working.. Was the other system you are checking with a phone app? Maybe ibwill pick that up if that is better.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 AM

From my own vehicle using Torque Pro

1. Fuel Trim at idle
2. O2 at 2000
3. Fuel Trim at 2000
4. O2 at idle

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 AM

thanks for checking.. So I am left to assume that the IAC is working.. Was the other system you are checking with a phone app? Maybe ibwill pick that up if that is better.
Car Gauge Pro. Not as intuitive to use as Torque and a lot of stuff can be selected that doesn't work (Pids are unfiltered) But I have found it does far more than any other Android app in the end on our Blazers.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-22-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Starting Member

Shot in the dark, what are the chances that it could be something with my bluetooth plug and not the vehicle?
Wondering how it could trip the reader to say its in closed loop but not use the sensors at all like your above graphs are showing?

Old 12-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Shot in the dark, what are the chances that it could be something with my bluetooth plug and not the vehicle?
Wondering how it could trip the reader to say its in closed loop but not use the sensors at all like your above graphs are showing?
In a closed loop the fuel trims would respond. You have almost constant readings A condition for ECU to switch into the closed loop is the coolant temperature, and 160F is enough. This doesn't add at all.
I had been using a cheap dongle + Torque Lite and it was doing fine with trims indications.
I have the feeling it's related rather to Your Chevy than the dongle. Nothing smarter doesn't come to my mind now

Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike.308
In a closed loop the fuel trims would respond. You have almost constant readings A condition for ECU to switch into the closed loop is the coolant temperature, and 160F is enough. This doesn't add at all.
I had been using a cheap dongle + Torque Lite and it was doing fine with trims indications.
I have the feeling it's related rather to Your Chevy than the dongle. Nothing smarter doesn't come to my mind now
Well it is Chevy
I did another attempt at the drive cycle today when I got home. Now with the forced low idle I was able to coast to stop portion and the evamp finally completed and I now have all of them completed except for the secondary air system again.. and the idle code has yet to be throw again fingers crossed. Can anyone confirm the secondary air is only tested in the initial stages of a cold start? That I will not need to put on more miles to get it to test, just cold start and idle?
Thanks

Last edited by Doubledown; 12-22-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement