2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

mpg sucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: mpg sucks

ORIGINAL: bandidolenny

Are your tires properly inflated? Make sure your catalytic converter is not clogged. Clean the MAF sensor... to do this, remove the unit from truck, remove the honeycomb looking screen and throw it away. Spray throttle plate cleaner on the small delicate wire sensors... DO NOT touch them. While your at it, cut up or drill holes in your air box so that air can flow freely into your K&N filter. All that is usually worth about 2 mpg.
I just cleaned my MAF. Are you saying I should not have reinstalled the screen? Is it better not to have it?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

The honeycomb straigtens out the air and reduces turbulance so it should be left in otherwise think of a tornado at the maf sensor that cant get by it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
spankyy is an unknown quantity at this point

yea my tires are good i just checked them ant the at like 32 just like the door says an i allready did the holes in the air box but i have heard bad things about taken the screen out of the maf sensor lol how should i go about cleaning the the intake an stuff with out taring it apart lol

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Just remove the plastic intake runner from the throttle body. Its one hose clamp, a thumb screw, and it lifts off. Then just use carb cleaner and clean all around the butterfly plate. Thennnnn after that, do a seafoam cleaning!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Starting Member

i have heard of the seafoma thing but im not sure how to do it an dose it really do any thing lol

Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: bandidolenny

remove the honeycomb looking screen and throw it away.
About the only thing that removing the screen will accomplish is an erratic MAF reading to the PCM. It is in there for a reason. Why so many people are lead to believe that they will get ANY benefit from removing it is beyond me.

I have actual scans from side by side runs that I had made in my Bravada one run with the screen removed and another with it installed. The MAF frequencies were bouncing all over the place with the screen removed and along with this, the IPWs were jumping around as well. With the screen in, the MAF frequency was steady for a given engine RPM and throttle position and the IPWs were much more consistent. And there was no appreciable difference in WOT performance.

Pertaining to seafoam, just run a search and you should find more information than you need.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM

The seafoam worked great. A must do.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Starting Member

whitch is the best way to put it in the throttle body or the vac line

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I have cut up the air box and removed the screen on every 1996 and newer vortec that I have ever owned (5) without a problem. The screen isa restriction, there is no advantage to keeping it other than noise cancelation (although it does protect the delicate MAF sensors). I know that the engineers at GM have gone back and forth on this one for awhile now, the new trucks no longer have these screens.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM

I put some in the TB first. I poured it in and let it set a little. Started it up and stuck the PCV tube in the can and sucked it up. Yummy.

Then shut it down for about 5 min. The started it up and treated the neighbors to a mosquito fogging. The rest went in the tank. Been purring like a cat ever since.

Quick Reply: mpg sucks