2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Multifunction switch-without pulling wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
white96LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Multifunction switch-without pulling wheel?

Hey..I'm hoping someone here can help me out. My aunt has a 96 Blazer with what I believe to be a faulty multifunction switch (intermittent turn signals, replaced flasher). I'm planning to get a replacement and install it for her, but I'm not too keen on the idea of removing the steering wheel to do so. Is there a writeup or anything that I've missed that shows or explains how to do it without taking the wheel off? I checked all forty-some pages and didn't see anything, but it's possible I missed something. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Multifunction switch-without pulling wheel?

Yes it's possible, in fact, I've never taken the wheel off to change one. But it's past my bedtime, so I'll try to reply tomorrow with the info you need.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking the steering wheel off is not a big deal. Just take your time, work carefully around the air bag and it should be no problem. I had a mechanic try to take off the column cover (2 piece cover)off with the steering wheel on and he broke the hazard light plunger that passes up through the top of the cover. I ended up having to replace the multi-function switch at that point. The steering wheel (if I remember correctly) actually fits over the edges of the column cover. Personally, I'd take the wheel off. You can "borrow" a wheel puller from AutoZone. Pulling the wheel also gives you plenty of room to work comfortably without having to contort all over the front seat while your looking for hidden screws, etc. The Haynes manual has a reasonably good write-up about pulling the wheel and disabling the air bag system (it's pretty easy to do).

Old 07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member
clone432 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my airbag and wheel off when I replaced mine. The column cover is pretty darn hard and would increase the time of the task by more than it takes to take the wheel and airbag off. Just make sure to disable the airbag system. As Junk Monkey said the Haynes manual does a good job of outlining the required steps.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced one today, Unless you have a small torx bit and want to spend alot of time getting one bolt out just remove the wheel. Also the key lock cylinder needs to come out, just dissconnect the bulk connector at the base of the column, then with the top column cover loose turn the key to the crank position, and push in the button through the hole in the top of the lock cylinder housing then it should pull out, that is the hardest part of the job IMHO.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
white96LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll be pulling the wheel when I tackle this on Sunday. Other than what's listed in the Haynes manual, any suggestions as to what would make the job a bit easier? Thanks again.