General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Pulling codes without a scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pulling codes without a scanner

Does anyone know if it's possible to pull codes from a '96 Blazer without using a scanner? For some reason, somebody cut the terminals or plugs, or whetever you want to call it out, and now it is impossible to hook up the scanner. The only option I could think of is to find a wrecking yard with a '96 and get that piece that is missing. The CEL is on and we can't figure out what the codes are. I'm interested in buying the truck, but I want to know what the issue is with the CEL before I do. We think it may be EGR or O2 just by what it's doing, but I don't want to take that gamble and it end up being something worse than that after I have invested my money into it.

Any ideas? I know you can sometimes do something with turning the key a number of times in some vehicles, so I was wonderig if there is something similar with Blazers.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Pulling codes without a scanner

Sorry Jenn, but your option is exactly as you stated... Find another DLC (diagnostic link connector) and splice in the wiring. If you can, solder the connections, if not, use some high quality butt connectors. I prefer the butt connectors from 3M with a shrink wrap already on the connector. Just crimp it on, and heat it up with any heat source (lighter, propane torch, heat gun, etc), just don't burn the shrink wrap. This will keep the connection tight and corrosion free for a long time.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Yup, like Kyle said. I use a butane soldering gun, it's inexpensive, cordless and there is a slot near the tip specificlly designed for heat shrink.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

What a pain in the ***....who cuts that stuff off??!!!![&:]