2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My Blazer just died :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
subtlebliss is on a distinguished road
Exclamation My Blazer just died :(

Let me start out by saying I drive a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4.3lt 4dr. Shes my baby and shes always been good to me. I recently started working on her myself as repairs come entirely to costly.

2 weeks ago I replaced my fuel pump and my fuel filter. Everything got fixed and worked fine. This was quite the amazing accomplishment as I am no mechanic.

Fast forward to 3 days ago, I'm driving down the highway and all of a sudden my car kicks off. My power stays on but the engine itself shuts off. Now after a few pumps of the gas sometimes the engine will roar back up and I will continue driving. Other times it dies all the way down power and engine and ill have to stop and restart it. It usually takes at least 3 cranks at that point before it'll turn over. No more than 3 minutes tho to start it back up.

To me in my opinion it seems that when i get around or below 1500 rpm's is when it dies. So I'm constantly gassing it to keep her running.

Any input or help would be much appreciated for this diy'er.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

What brand Fuel Pump did you install? I've heard that Airtex pumps can sometimes crap out a couple weeks after installing it.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

2x what brand pump did ya use

We prefer delco or delphi

Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

It was an Airtex fuel pump.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Beginning Member

Whats crazy is for a week it ran just fine after the install of the fuel pump/filter. Then all of a sudden.....

Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yep thats what after markets do

Mine lasted 6 months and i was surprised but Id never buy an after market ever again

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member

But wouldn't the fuel pump just completely crap out? I mean I can def still here it working every time i turn the key. What are the chances of it being a leak or spark plugs?

New to this so please dont roast to hard.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 PM
BF Guru

you can check doing a fuel pressure test

what year is your truck ?

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-23038/

thats all the information you will need for the test

Edit: the pump could cut out when it gets hot then starts working again when cool

also a weak fuel pressure will not make your engine start

Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Nah dude, we are here to help. AC Delco and Delphi are definitely the way to go for pumps. Can you take back the Airtex and tell them that it was a faulty pump, get your money back and get a Delphi or Delco?

When my stock fuel pump went out, the don't just die caput. They take a while to finally crap out. Some times they decide to work after sitting a bit, and sometimes they will work long enough to start your truck.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

My truck is a 2002.
I intend on going to advance tom to use their diagnostic tool as a start to all of this.

Quick Reply: My Blazer just died :(