2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My hard start/excessive crank story

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road
Default My hard start/excessive crank story

I have also been experiencing a problem with my 2001 4x4 blazer starting.

The Blazer would always crank but not fire some times,we would have to turn the key off and try again. At first it always started on the second try, recently it has been worse and required multiple attempts to get it to start.

I did not have a proper fuel pressure gauge and found a cheap one ($20) at the local Harbor Freight.

Upon checking I found that when I first turned the key the pressure would go up to 60 PSI and hold. When the engine was cranking I had anywhere from 40-50 PSI. It would not fire when the pressure was much under 50PSI. If it was 50 or higher it would fire up and give a reading that was pulsing from 52PSI to 54 PSI while the engine was running.

At this point I figured it was the fuel pump but change the filter first. Well after the filter was changed I was getting 64 PSI when I turned the key on with the engine off. When the engine is cranking I now have 50 PSI or higher every time and the Blazer starts right up. When it is running I have a steady 55 PSI with no pulsing.

This is still lower than the 60-66 PSI I read it should be on this forum. (Thanks Swartikk)

The Blazer starts great so far now and my cheap gauge could be reading low for all I know or I may still be replacing the pump soon.

So If you are having this kind of trouble buy yourself a fuel pressure gauge and you may find your problem is as simple as a fuel filter that is plugging.

Blazeme

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is why the fuel pressure test post is the most linked to post on the site!

I am glad you found your problem and that it was so cheap/easy to fix!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM

If I would have changed the fuel filter months ago when I bought it the problem would have never gotten to the point it did. I forgot to mention that I wasted $80 and my time replacing the ignition switch that looked pretty good inside when I took the old one apart. The points had a lot less pitting than I expected with 139,000 miles of use. Should have bought the fuel pressure gauge first.

The pressure gauge I just bought is the only sure way I new the problem was fuel related. If only there was a sensor to generate a DTC for low fuel pressure, but I guess that would make it to easy for everyone to find there own problems.

Blazeme

Last edited by Blazeme; 11-29-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The bean counters at GM would never allow such a gauge/sensor from the factory. It really serves no purpose other than diagnosis and one can easily be connected when a problem presents itself. That isn't to say that you could not hard plumb your own gauge.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Default Not right yet

Well The fuel filter is not the only thing at fault here as we are still having trouble. Part of the time the blazer starts right up and part of the time it will not.

I did check fuel pressure again and it seams to consistently hit 60-64 psi when I turn the key. During cranking it sometimes drops below 50 psi sometimes stays over 50 psi. When it is below 50 it only cranks. Sometimes it will fire, the pressure drops and engine stalls. Sometimes it will fire the pressure drops , engine starts to stall and then the pressure goes back up and engine stays running.

A couple of times it has idled very rough but did not die. We have not stalled when it is already running, only during starting so far.

I am thinking it is all a fuel pump going bad, but wonder if anything else is at fault such as

Fuel pressure regulator sticking open and sending to much fuel back to the tank.

Or loosing power to the fuel pump when cranking.

I still have no DTCs either.

Thanks for any ideas any of you might have.

Blazeme

Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Default It was the pump

The fuel pump finally stalled and I had to thump the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet to get the Blazer home.

I almost got the couch that night for not changing it sooner.

I got a deal locally on the Delphi module($307) and now our Blazer starts like a new one.

Blazeme

Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
navila17 is on a distinguished road

I have been having a very similar problem. My blazer has been hard to start for the past few months and it is getting worse in the bad weather. I actually killed the battery trying to start it this morning. I'm trying to figure out if I have the same problem as you had.

With mine, it will try to turn over but dies out very quick. You can just hear it fire a few cylinders real quick but doesn't keep going. And it seems like if I just try to keep cranking it doesn't help at all, I usually have to try to let go as soon as I hear it catch at all. And I start smelling gas after several trys, like this morning after about 15 trys and killing the battery.

So mostly what I am wondering is if you were smelling gas too?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by navila17
I have been having a very similar problem. My blazer has been hard to start for the past few months and it is getting worse in the bad weather. I actually killed the battery trying to start it this morning. I'm trying to figure out if I have the same problem as you had.

With mine, it will try to turn over but dies out very quick. You can just hear it fire a few cylinders real quick but doesn't keep going. And it seems like if I just try to keep cranking it doesn't help at all, I usually have to try to let go as soon as I hear it catch at all. And I start smelling gas after several trys, like this morning after about 15 trys and killing the battery.

I can't say that I really noticed any gas smell.

You will need to check fuel pressure if you haven't. I found a very low priced gauge at my local harbor freight. It may not be the best quality but I will not be using it everyday.

If your pressure is low during cranking it will not start. If pressure is low change the fuel filter and recheck pressure. If still low during cranking its most likely the pump.

As you read in my posts I did not have the same pressure every time during cranking. When it was about 55 psi or lower it would crank and not fire up. If the pressure was above 55 psi it started every time. So far it is still starting up like new.

If the pressure is normal during cranking and you do not start it is most likely not the fuel pump.

Blazeme

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member
reytx1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by navila17

I have the same problem, usually if my blazer sits for two or more days it will have trouble starting and it takes many times to get it turned on.

But yesterday my blazer would not stay on after sitting for two days. It will turn on for like a second and then die out no matter how much throttle i give it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
reytx1 is on a distinguished road

Sorry didnt mean to revive such and old thread.

Quick Reply: My hard start/excessive crank story