2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My temp gauge jumps..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Question Could new parts raise operating temp?

Ive had an overheating issue for a while and I have replaced the thermostat which is a 185, temperature sending unit, fan clutch, flushed the cooling system and put in a brand new radiator. The shop also checked my water pump and said that it was operating just fine as well. My normal operating temp is half way between cold and 210. I just got it from the shop and it is running close to 210 but I need to know if after all the parts have been replaced if its normal operating temp could be affected and cause its operating temp to be a lil higher? So should I basically still go by the temp its always ran at since Ive owned it or should I not fret if it runs close to 210 now? And I wont run it at 210 or higher for fear of blowing my head gasket or cracking my head. If there is still an overheating problem though, after all the new parts what could it possibly be? And also there is no sign of any gasket or head problems.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Combined 2 threads dealing with the same issue*

Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Melrock83
Ive had an overheating issue for a while and I have replaced the thermostat which is a 185, temperature sending unit, fan clutch, flushed the cooling system and put in a brand new radiator. The shop also checked my water pump and said that it was operating just fine as well. My normal operating temp is half way between cold and 210. I just got it from the shop and it is running close to 210 but I need to know if after all the parts have been replaced if its normal operating temp could be affected and cause its operating temp to be a lil higher? So should I basically still go by the temp its always ran at since Ive owned it or should I not fret if it runs close to 210 now? And I wont run it at 210 or higher for fear of blowing my head gasket or cracking my head. If there is still an overheating problem though, after all the new parts what could it possibly be? And also there is no sign of any gasket or head problems.
Nope.. it's supposed to be just left of the center mark. And, now you've replaced and checked almost everything can fail, it can go quite a bit to the right of 210.
When the PCM sees temperatures above a certain point.. say 220 deg it begins gradually reducing available power, by retarding the timing and enriching the mixture. Which helps cool the combustion chamber.

Evidently these thermostats 'ratchet' open over time and you were running too cool, just like a lot of the rest of us..

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...en-pics-67856/

Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

Replaced the radiator, PROBLEM IS FINALLY SOLVED WOOOO HOOOOO