2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is my tranny ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006 | 08:01 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Is my tranny ok?

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

Well whitt, if you find my updated post about this issue you will see that my dealer tore into my transmission and pretty much completely rebuilt it for the stuff you were talking about.
You may well be right in the end, but the original symptoms we shared in common (the lag going into gears and the higher revs required to get the vehicle moving – only in REVERSE for me) completely disappeared after I brought the fluid level up to the proper level.

As I posted, after that, everything was solid and tight. No lag when going into gears, and the vehicle would start moving as soon as I released the brake under idle. Plus I never experienced getting it stuck in any of the gears as you did.

I may be wrong, but I still find the fact that days later I lost DRIVE just after bottoming out in my relative’s driveway more than coincidental.

Old 01-26-2006 | 01:22 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Whitt, the thing you said you had that worried me was the transmission whine. They pretty much tried to tell me the pause was normal but that whine is what got them to tear into it. Do you still have the whine? I haven't gotten mine back yet. It's been in a week and 2 solid days.

Old 01-28-2006 | 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

Whitt, the thing you said you had that worried me was the transmission whine. They pretty much tried to tell me the pause was normal but that whine is what got them to tear into it. Do you still have the whine?
That was just me. My brother rode with me and said it sounded normal, so it was just me not being used to the sound of the 4WD drivetrain, as I had been driving sports cars for so many years.

I haven't gotten mine back yet. It's been in a week and 2 solid days.
Might be time to give the regional office a call.

Old 01-28-2006 | 07:43 PM

Bah, I don't wanna dime them out yet. It seems like they are really trying to fix some stuff that was probably the result of abuse by the original owners. For all the know I could have torn it up somehow. The latest word is they ordered a new back glass and hinges for it b/c those hinges were bent.

Now if I get there and there's a bill for this stuff, or they didn't fix anything, I will be raising hell.

Be carefull with the whine. I had a few people tell me it was normal too.

Old 01-30-2006 | 10:16 AM

No, my brother didn’t say the whine was normal, he said the noise I was hearing was not a whine, but the normal sound a 4WD drivetrain makes. I just wasn’t accustomed to the sound. He had a 4WD S10 pickup up until recently.

Old 01-30-2006 | 10:25 AM

Ahh so you're talking about that whine when in 4WD. I see. Low range definitely should have a whine.

Old 02-01-2006 | 12:11 AM

Talked to the Chevrolet service department today and they said next Tuesday is the expected date for me to get the Blazer back. That's three weeks to the day since I turned it in. I'm really hoping this thing is smooth as a Cadillac when it comes back or something, ****.

Old 02-13-2006 | 12:43 AM

Well after over 3 weeks I got the Blazer back.....but no detail on exactly what they did as I had hoped. The girl at the desk said she had to make copies of the paperwork (which looked about 12 pages think) and then said she'd mail it to me. As of now, the whine is almost gone, but I hear it a little. The lag time between gear changes is gone. It shifts a lot smoother which I understand is bad for the tranny but feels good anyway. It still does not really pull like I am used to when in gear but you don't have to push on the gas as hard to get it to move. All in all, the question wasm "Is my tranny OK", and the answer is NO! Er, was no. Seems ok now. How would you guys feel about driving a truck this new with a rebuilt tranny?

Old 02-13-2006 | 02:44 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a drain plug for the tranny and change the fluid every 6 months to a year depending on how much you drive and load your vehicle.

Old 02-13-2006 | 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Whit,
Sounds like you have a solinoid that went bad. On the newer electronically controlled trannys they control all the shifts. Not hard to replace.

As for an electrical line. Check the plug on the passengers side. Gonna be a bear to get to, the muffler is in the way. That plug is the wiring for the tranny. All the other wiring is on the drivers side and that is for your back up lights, brake lights, and shift indicator on the column. the rest of the wiring is for the t-case.

Quick Reply: Is my tranny ok?