2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mystery Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member
neospyder is on a distinguished road
Question Mystery Connector?

Need some help figuring out what this is supposed to be plugged into. It comes out of a loom that runs along the top of the bumper behind the grille, and right below the condensor. There are two of them, one of which is plugged into a black plug of some sort (left one in the pic). Neither is mounted to anything right now and are just kind of tucked behind the center support. I have no idea what they are for, although I'm guessing airbag sensor? Thanks for any suggestions!

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Connector?-imag0241.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your truck have ECC (electronic climate control - numbers around the temperature dial, not just blue & red)?

If yes, then that plug would go to the exterior temperature sensor for the HVAC control module and should have a dark green w/ white tracer wire on one side of the connector and a black wire on the other. The other component you are holding is the exterior temperature sensor for the overhead console which should have a light green w/ black tracer as one wire and a black w/ white tracer as the other.

If you don't have ECC, then that is just an extra connector that really doesn't go anywhere.

And before you ask, the conversion to ECC requires a LOT of parts be swapped out and really isn't worth the trouble.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member

No, I just have the regular old A/C, and don't worry -- no plans to swap it lol. Thanks so much for the quick reply, guess I'll go ahead and just tuck them back where they were

Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the one on the left looks like it goes to nothing, looks like it has a cap on it. i would think if you needed those that the check engine light would come on or something wouldnt be working.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Beginning Member

Well my airbag light has always been on so that's why I was leaning that direction... Wishful thinking I guess lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM combined wiring in a lot of cases until the s-series neared the end of production where cost cutting measures took over. Check the wire colors. If they match up with what I stated above, then tuck them and look elsewhere for the source of the airbag light (have the airbag system scanned for codes).