2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help diagnosing blazer trans slipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 02:09 PM
HDmechanic1 is on a distinguished road
Default need help diagnosing blazer trans slipping

Driving my Blazer with no prior shift problems, then all of a sudden it started shifting funny and kinda felt like it was slipping. When I took it on freeway and after it warmed up, then it really started slipping. In fact, I barely made it home. No leaks, no codes. On the way home I put one quart of trans fluid in and it helped a little. Then I put another quart in and it helped a lot. I know people will tell me I was low on fluid, but the dipstick did not show it was low. I have removed the trans pan and the oil in it looks old but not burnt. I tried testing the solenoids, but I don't have the right tools to test it. What I have read online says that if the solenoids are bad it will trip a trouble code. I'm at the point where the pan is down, I can access the solenoids, but is there something else I can check? I don't want to put the trans pan back up and then have to take it back down because it was not easy to remove. My Blazer is a 1995 S10 2wd V6 with an overdrive transmission. Thank you.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Default Blazer has first and reverse, won't shift gears

I have a Blazer S10 manufactured in March of 1995 with an automatic transmission. Sunday afternoon was running fine, but when I went out later in the evening the transmission felt like it was slipping. I checked the fluid level and it was good. I added a quart of transmission fluid because I wasn't sure if the dipstick might be wrong. I drove home and didn't realize it at the time, but it probably didn't get out of first gear, but I made it home. When I got home I added another quart of transmission fluid, but that did not help. I am not sure if I over filled it or not by adding all that extra fluid, but since then,.I have replaced the transmission fluid with the correct amount and replaced the filter There are no leaks, no check engine lights on, no noises coming from anywhere, no codes, everything else on the car works. I checked the fuses. I tried testing the transmission solenoids with an ohm reader, but I couldn't figure out how to do it correctly. Since my Blazer is a 1995, I have the OBDII dummy port under the dash and there are no readers that I can find that will work. I can't figure out what to do at this point or what to check next. Is there something I am missing? The vehicle goes into first gear but will not shift into any other gears. I still have reverse. Can someone figure out these symptoms? Any suggestions on what this could be? I appreciate any help or suggestions. I had to rent a car and it's really expensive and I need to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HDmechanic1
I have a Blazer S10 manufactured in March of 1995 with an automatic transmission. Sunday afternoon was running fine, but when I went out later in the evening the transmission felt like it was slipping. I checked the fluid level and it was good. I added a quart of transmission fluid because I wasn't sure if the dipstick might be wrong. I drove home and didn't realize it at the time, but it probably didn't get out of first gear, but I made it home. When I got home I added another quart of transmission fluid, but that did not help. I am not sure if I over filled it or not by adding all that extra fluid, but since then,.I have replaced the transmission fluid with the correct amount and replaced the filter There are no leaks, no check engine lights on, no noises coming from anywhere, no codes, everything else on the car works. I checked the fuses. I tried testing the transmission solenoids with an ohm reader, but I couldn't figure out how to do it correctly. Since my Blazer is a 1995, I have the OBDII dummy port under the dash and there are no readers that I can find that will work. I can't figure out what to do at this point or what to check next. Is there something I am missing? The vehicle goes into first gear but will not shift into any other gears. I still have reverse. Can someone figure out these symptoms? Any suggestions on what this could be? I appreciate any help or suggestions. I had to rent a car and it's really expensive and I need to get this resolved as soon as possible.
When you say you only have 1st and reverse, is it possible you also have 2nd? If so, then you might be suffering from a bad 3/4 clutch-pack. This is not an uncommon failure mode.

Look up videos on failures in 4L60E transmissions. This might give you some ideas.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
RedSledge is on a distinguished road

The 1995 models have OBDI. The first official year for OBDII was 1996. Amazon still sells a couple OBDI readers, plus a converter cable that (supposedly) allows reading 12-pin OBDI with 16-pin OBDII scanners. But don't be surprised if code reading gives you nothing useful for your trans problem.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:54 AM

thank you for your help.