2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need Help Finding a Writeup :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help Finding a Writeup :)

Great, so I was sitting in a parking lot looking at my fuel gauge for some reason and it jumped to full from 3/4 tank.

From what I've read, I already know this means I may need a new pump.
I just wanted to lay down some base info.

I just recently replaced my fuel filter with a NAPA Gold one, and it doesn't leak. I also used the method where you pull the fuse while it's running in order to relieve the pressure. Is it possible I screwed something up?

I've been searching for a writeup on fuel pump replacement... I can't seem to find one. Is this something I can do with wrenches and not sockets? (I broke all my socket wrenches already, and my supply of sockets sucks) I don't have much of a chance at getting any help on this (people say to have a helper... my uncle wouldn't have the patience, and my best friend is a lazy body guy whose afraid of engines lol)

Is it possible for a 19 y/o to do without help? I was thinking jack stands under the tank would be a good idea... is there a way to get to the pump without removing the tank? My girlfriends dad got sick of replacing them so he cut a hole in his work truck floor, could this be an idea?

Anyway if anyone has any input they can throw at me, I will gladly collect all the info I can get. Thinking about a used pump from Johns Auto Parts (biggest junk yard in Minnesota) I'm a bit hard on the cashola... I'm assuming the blazer, s10, bravada pumps will work??

Thanks Everyone!

BTW, I have a lot of pictures for replacing wheel bearings, I made that cold air Intake using the template (it kicks ***), and I have a few more images... what were they for.... I don't remember, but Ill get to making writeups when I have time or don't have school...

-Zac

2000 GMC Jimmy 4.3L Vortec
204,000 miles

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A failing fuel level sending unit does not always mean that your pump is getting ready to go as well. The sending unit can be replaced separately.

Of all the people here, I do not recall anyone ever taking the time to snap pictures while they went through the pump replacement.

There really is not much to it. Just make sure that you get all of the vacuum lines, etc disconnected prior to dropping it all the way to the ground. If your pump is still working, run the truck until you are as low as you can get on fuel. This will make the tank as light as possible.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO if you're gonna put a used fuel pump in there you will probably be doing it again soon. But if that's the only option iv'e seen the old "hole in the bed" trick. It works out alright just be careful not to catch fire during the process. LOL

Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks everyone for the info! I waited till I had about 190 miles on that tank and decided to fill up. When I restarted my tank went right back to full again... Although, I'm not sure if its going to correctly interpret the gas amount yet... I decided to go ahead and purchase some STP gas treatment and throw it in the tank. Again, I am not sure if it was a good idea or a bad idea, but if it helps it helps... Yeah, at 204,000 miles on it, i'm not really concerned about having to put another pump in it. I've been told by a few buddies who work in the auto industry that with labor 3000 dollars could be done to my drivetrain... I'm just going to drive the damn thing into the ground because I can't afford to purchase all these things. I am slowly taking care of important stuff though like the wheel bearings, I did a rear axel, power steering pump, looking to do passenger upper ball joints and now this damn pump if need be.

The good thing is that I have access to ALLDATA's database of manuals. Every damn car. I go to school at Dunwoody College an Auto and Computer school, and if you go to school there you have access

That means if anyone has any need for any ALLDATA's doc's, let me know I'm willing to help, this is a great community of people!