2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help truck seems to have emission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member
thibault116 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy need help truck seems to have emission problems

hey i have a 01 chevy blazer 2 door the problem im having is hesitation and pop through the intake under a load. The only time this hesitation happens is when i fill the gas tank until it hits under half a tank it will start to run fine with no hesitation. the charcoal canister is empty no gas in it i cleaned it with compressed air. then i just cleaned the purge valve i believe its called its under the hood. it still does it i don't like driving it with the hesitation but its the only vehicle i have. i was wondering if any one has had this problem and could help me out thanks. im pretty sure its something to do with emissions. the things i have done to it are intake gasket, plugs and wires , distributor, fuel filter , fuel pump test pressure is normal and egr tube.

Last edited by thibault116; 07-02-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Did you test the fuel pressure at the rail or at the pump? Do you remember your readings and how much leak down there was? Are there any codes and have you cleaned the MAF sensor?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member

im not sure my mechanic did the pressure test and i did clean the maf forgot to write that.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Was the problem there before you replaced all those parts, or were you trying to fix it by replacing the parts?

Sounds like a lean condition or incorrect camshaft retard. Are there any DTC's in memory or pending? Does the Service Engine Soon light come on and shut off with the bulb check? Is the Service Engine Soon light on while driving?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Was the problem there before you replaced all those parts, or were you trying to fix it by replacing the parts?

Sounds like a lean condition or incorrect camshaft retard. Are there any DTC's in memory or pending? Does the Service Engine Soon light come on and shut off with the bulb check? Is the Service Engine Soon light on while driving?
its been doing it since i got it and no all the parts i did the truck needed. the fuel filter fixed it for about two months. i don't have any engine codes that come up i had one a while ago so i did o2 sensor and it fixed the engine light. i think its a clogged catalytic converter.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

An exhaust restriction will cause a problem all the time, not intermittently like you describe.

Fuel delivery is critical on these engines, and if it's not within specs, you will have problems. Checking fuel pressure and leakdown is free, fast, and easy to do. The results tell us the overall condition of the fuel delivery system, (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc). Most auto parts stores rent fuel pressure testers for free, and sell them for ~$40. When you have one at your disposal, let us know and we can walk you through the procedure, takes about 15 minutes.

EDIT: Replacing the lower intake gaskets requires removing the distributor: When it is reinstalled, camshaft retard MUST be checked and adjusted with a capable scan tool. Incorrect camshaft retard can cause a hesitation and induction, and not turn the SES light on.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

could have a lifter collapsed.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

An exhaust restriction will cause a problem all the time, not intermittently like you describe.

Fuel delivery is critical on these engines, and if it's not within specs, you will have problems. Checking fuel pressure and leakdown is free, fast, and easy to do. The results tell us the overall condition of the fuel delivery system, (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc). Most auto parts stores rent fuel pressure testers for free, and sell them for ~$40. When you have one at your disposal, let us know and we can walk you through the procedure, takes about 15 minutes.

EDIT: Replacing the lower intake gaskets requires removing the distributor: When it is reinstalled, camshaft retard MUST be checked and adjusted with a capable scan tool. Incorrect camshaft retard can cause a hesitation and induction, and not turn the SES light on.
i didnt do the intake gaskets im assuming my mechanic checked the timing and my mechanic did check the fuel pressure because i knew the fuel systems in these trucks are bad he said its where it should be. i wish i asked him about the pressure numbers all i know is he said its fine that was 2 or 3 months ago he tested it only time it hesitates is after filling the gas. it just started doing it the last 3 fill ups.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Intermittent or hard faults in the fuel delivery system can develop in a heartbeat, a lot can happen in "2 or 3 months". That's why we need fuel pressure and leakdown results. Timing is not adjustable on this engine. Camshaft retard is adjusted by slightly turning the distributor. Turning the distributor does not affect ignition timing. Not saying they didn't check it but, there are a lot of techs that are unaware of the adjustment. They assume that if the distributor gear meshes correctly with the camshaft, that it's good enough, and that's just not the case. Too much "assuming" going on There are several extremely knowledgeable members here that know more about Blazers than most shops know. You're asking for help and we're offering it, don't discount suggestions unless there's data to back it up. We're glad to help, but ya gotta work with us

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member

Intermittent or hard faults in the fuel delivery system can develop in a heartbeat, a lot can happen in "2 or 3 months". That's why we need fuel pressure and leakdown results. Timing is not adjustable on this engine. Camshaft retard is adjusted by slightly turning the distributor. Turning the distributor does not affect ignition timing. Not saying they didn't check it but, there are a lot of techs that are unaware of the adjustment. They assume that if the distributor gear meshes correctly with the camshaft, that it's good enough, and that's just not the case. Too much "assuming" going on There are several extremely knowledgeable members here that know more about Blazers than most shops know. You're asking for help and we're offering it, don't discount suggestions unless there's data to back it up. We're glad to help, but ya gotta work with us
alright i see how do i do the pressure test or should i just Google/YouTube it i can rent one from a shop in town.

Quick Reply: need help truck seems to have emission problems