2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need prompt input on mechanical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
Becauseitsmine is on a distinguished road
Default need prompt input on mechanical issue.

I have a 95 blazer, all stock, auto transmission, 160k miles. Not too long ago the fuel pump went out so i took it to a mechanic and paid 875 dollars for that fix. Then i got a flat and since i wanted 235 75 15s i had to replace all 4 tires for about 400. I had a hole in my muffler, so i replaced that with pretty much just a straightpipe. I dont have emissions so thats not an issue for me. There is an exhaust leak somewhere in the front end, theres a small trans leak from a hose in the front, and i have an oil leak. The fluids leaks are mantained, the truck basically gets an oil change every week, well new oil anyway. Now, shortly after i replaced all the tires the truck misfired. The day after that it misfired a few more times, and by the third day it was almist undrivable. I managed to get it home but thats where it stayed. We have done all the easy stuff, i gave it a full tune up brand new spaek plugs new rotor cap, spark plug wires. We replaced the fuel filter again just in case. Alas, despite our efforts the truck is still being a douche. It idles fine, but as soon as you hit the gas it misfires continuously and eventually dies out. I not tooo mechanically inclined, but i do know mechanics. At this point i thinks its a fuel injector but it is to my belief that i would have to replace the spider. Oh and its not throwing any codes either, the sevice engine light only comes on after the truck dies out. We have a computer to scan for codes but there are no codes to scan. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix this?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Starting Member

Its a 4x4 4door also if that has anything to do anything

Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Fuel doesnt set DTC, search here for fuel pressure tests.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

What brand of fuel pump was installed? If not Delco...it has probably failed.

Check the easy stuff: plugs wires fully connected to plugs and distributor. Make sure the plug wires at the distributor are correct and not mis-wired. Are the distributor bearings worn-out? Did the distributor cap screws strip-out? Rotor not fully seated? Again were Delco parts used? If not....another likely problem.

The '95 was a transition year for the engine. The fuel injector spider is a problem and good idea to upgrade at some point in time.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Starting Member

Not sure what parts i got its been a while but i cann check

Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Joey1986Z is on a distinguished road

A month or so ago, my 2001 acted similar to yours, except the MIL would immediately flash with P0300 when the throttle was applied. Turns out the rotor centre contact was worn away, as in 'gone'. The back distributor screw was also stripped and the front screw area was cracked. Replaced both and that fixed that problem.

3-4 years ago, it had a similar problem that would come and go. That time, it would run awful; however the MIL would only illuminate when the motor died (I suspect this to be a 'bulb check"). When trying to read the codes, there would be none, even if some had been there previously. I posted that issue on this helpful forum, and it was suggested either I had faulty ground and/or connections to the computer, or the computer itself was failing. I simply unplugged the four connecters to the computer and plugged them back. Fixed that issue 3-4 years ago and it has not returned. Give that a try.

My Blazer is a 2001 OBD II. I think your '95 is an OBDI. Not sure about your Blazer, but my 1995 Corvette is OBDI with an OBDII connector; however, when I connect the OBD II code reader on the Corvette, no codes are ever revealed, even with an illuminated MIL. I use the same high tech tool (bent paper clip) to extract the codes on my Corvette as my 1986 carburetored Z28.

Last edited by Joey1986Z; 01-23-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Grammer