2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road

Here is a picture of the unit in the Blazer..seems a bit different than others I have seen videos on...

Its funny how after the brake install I started having issues with the ABS...I might have boogered up something with the sensors but who knows for sure. I am goind to order the drivers side sensor and install over the next couple days.

I know it was mentioed that I should throw money at new parts right off, but figure with 213k miles on most of the stuff on the Blazer I will check it off as prevenative maint.

I noticed two bleeder looking types of fittings on the ABS control module...do those get bled at some time? Jsut curious........

My old Sierra had the flat black box hanging next to MC....nothing like this unit....

Attached Thumbnails Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-abs2.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-abs1.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-25-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: *COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS* Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

You have to have a Tech II scanner to bleed the ABS.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Spend good money in a good way. Leverage a small amount of money to gain a great amount of correct diagnosis. Go either to a stealership or to a specialty brake shop. GET A PRO.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by WalkGood
Spend good money in a good way. Leverage a small amount of money to gain a great amount of correct diagnosis. Go either to a stealership or to a specialty brake shop. GET A PRO.
When I decide to give up, I may take it to brake shop...dont think I will every set foot on the dealerships service center

Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

How are your hubs, loose hubs can cause crap also

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member
YJ Wralph is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
In your experience the rear shoes are done before the front pads? Either I am getting ****ty front pads, or the rear ones are made out of diamond dust. Same with my 94 when I had it.
That's why I said "In my experience" instead of stating it as fact... I've bought three used vehicles that have needed rear brakes done, but the front brakes were still good. I apologize for sounding stupid.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
How are your hubs, loose hubs can cause crap also

Hubs look good IMHO.....

Well...after work today, I tore into the drivers side and took off the tire to insect the braking system....one thing for sure is that it got really hot down there....

Pads and rotor appear to be in good shape, caliper has heat discoloration and no leaks to be seen.

I went ahead and replaced the ABS sensor and reinstalled everything....

Took her out for a drive and the brakes perfom well......

However, the friggin' ABS light is on now..lol

I have a feeling the braking system was having issues with the previous owner as for the brake booster and MC were freshly replaced....looks like he / she didnt get to pads, rotors, calipers etc....

Figure Ill do right side ABS sensor in a week or so....its good practice and for ****s and gigs, my daughter assists me, so I get to explain basic mechanics to her......

Ill post some pics here soon.....

I dont mean to "post *****" this thread, but for some reason I can post more than one pic per reply...at least not yet....

I removed the wheel and this is what I saw...specks are from grease I think that may have came out of dust cap.

Attached Thumbnails Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-tireremovedhereswhatwegot.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-25-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: *COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS* Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by YJ Wralph
That's why I said "In my experience" instead of stating it as fact... I've bought three used vehicles that have needed rear brakes done, but the front brakes were still good. I apologize for sounding stupid.
ah, I gotcha now. I was confused, P/O must have just NEVER changed the rears on them.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Another pic

Caliper removed

Eeeeek...look at that sensor.........

Removing ABS sensor and assembly....cover greasy silver thing..lol

Old vs New Side 1

Old vs New Side 2

New close up

Old close up

Installed

Rotor and cap reinstalled

Almost done.........

Man...connecting the harness was a PITA..no room for my hands to get in there.....

And like I said...."NOW" the ABS Light is on...lol

At least they work.......

Attached Thumbnails Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-caliperon.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-rotorpadhot.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-caliperoff.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-dustcoveremoved.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-greasyshaft.jpg  

Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-oldabsoncar3.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-oldabsoncar2.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-oldabsoncar.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-removingabs.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-sidebyside2.jpg  

Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-newsensor.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-oldsenor.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-sensorinstalled.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-clean98above.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-clean98.jpg  

Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-harness.jpg   Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc-abslight.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-25-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: *COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS* Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Can't really tell from your images... Can you post an image of the installed calipers showing the bleeders? Label which side is which in each image.

Primary bleeding of ABS equipped vehicles should never involve pumping the pedal. It can, and usually does, introduce air into the ABS unit. If/when that happens, the automated bleed MUST be done using a scan tool capable of initiating it. Always gravity bleed one wheel at a time and never allow the master cylinder to run dry on fluid. Allow each wheel to bleed until no bubbles are present. Repeat for each wheel. After all are bled, have an assistant hold pressure on the brake pedal, don't pump it, rapidly open & close the bleeder, (don't allow pedal to go to the floor) to make sure no air is present. Repeat at each wheel. If the master cylinder runs dry, the automated bleed MUST be done using a scan tool capable of initiating it.

Quick Reply: Need some help..BRAKE ISSUE...New Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Fluid etc