2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new to the blazer world and I need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:10 PM
|
cjv1968 is on a distinguished road
Default new to the blazer world and I need help please!!

I just bought a 1998 blazer from a guy that has owned it since it had 8k miles. It now has just 96k. I paid $2300 for it and think I got a good deal. I am fixing the little things but I have 2 issues that are driving me nuts already.

Whenever I am in the truck driving or when it is running, the headlights are on all the time. Tail lights too and dash stuff dimmed. It is in the automatic setting too. I checked the connections to the 2 "eyes" on the dash and both are connected ok. I disconnected the battery and still same once i reconnected. So, what the heck is going on?

My second issue is interior lights. When I open doors, none of the interior lights come on. I push the override dome light button and they all come on but never go out. I currently do not have the remote to see if that part works, but these 2 things are driving me crazy. Hope I didnt buy a problem truck.

Thanks y'all for your help.

Craig in Marietta, GA

Attached Thumbnails new to the blazer world and I need help please!!-00e0e_73nsn6d7zqc_1200x900.jpg   new to the blazer world and I need help please!!-00o0o_17oysepfmbn_1200x900.jpg   new to the blazer world and I need help please!!-00r0r_blxkeksn7k9_1200x900.jpg  
Old 09-10-2016 | 11:11 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

I have a 2002 and the headlights are on all the time, you can't turn them off. I guess back in the day the light sensors weren't any good so they just left them out. I wonder if the tail lights are on all the time too. Now that would be dumb and dumber.

Old 09-12-2016 | 01:45 PM
|
cjv1968 is on a distinguished road

well, the good news is, I went to a salvage yard and got the light sensor that sits in the passenger side speaker grill. I replaced it and light problem fixed. When running, just the daytime running lights come on not the tail lights, and the dash lights stay nice and bright. YAY. Now, I have ordered all new door jamb switches for the 4 doors and hatch. I am hoping that will fix the interior lights issue.

Old 09-14-2016 | 09:56 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Nice looking Blazer. One thing to take a look at is your brake/fuel lines running to the rear on top of the frame rail. I had to replace my rear brake line because of a rupture caused by rust from sitting debris (gravel dust/muck) near the left rear wheel well. (less than three weeks owned) Looks like your truck traveled better roads than mine. Keep replacing the worn out stuff,it's still cheaper than a new car/truck payment ! 193,000 miles + owned for 15 months and put 24,000 on it ! Lots of new parts too ! Complete front end rebuild,(recent)fuel pump,(several months ago) tires,left rear tail light (first week of ownership) and another set of tires and wheels, All the O2's,evap solenoid, 2 Tune ups,(one when I got it and just the other day,plugs looked good and could have been reused) Brakes all around,motor mounts,driver door hinge pin repair,,radiator,hoses,belt,and from the salvage yard;Jack and lug wrench ( third day after a flat !!!) steering wheel,rear caliper bracket,Trailer electric brake wiring relays and wire,sun visors,(I couldn't stand the site of mirrors with broken covers) air box,air dam mounting bolts and nuts,Jeep steering shaft & box ,console insert,rear cargo mat and 3 ABS modules before one worked (ABS light out, 2 didn't repair after solder job). Welcome to the club !

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 09-14-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2016 | 11:52 PM
ski9600 is on a distinguished road

Regarding the headlights always on, it is a feature that they introduced around that time in a lot of vehicles in order for US vehicles to be the same as Canadian ones. So, much like motorcycles being seen reduces accidents is the theory. So, if the head lights are on you might be seen more often and not get slammed by some nut job. I don't mind it on my 2K Blazer, I never touch the light switch.

Old 09-17-2016 | 09:34 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

The head lights on feature bothered me at first, but after awhile, it grows on you and you see the value of it. It really causes no problems and helps esp. when foggy, rainy, or twilight and you perhaps would forget to cut the lights on. Give it a chance and I think you will see the value of this feature. The only thing I don't like about it is they come on when you turn the ignition key to start it. I wish they would stay off while cranking the engine.