Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New to The Blazer world and need a mentor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 PM
methinks01 is on a distinguished road
Default New to The Blazer world and need a mentor

Hello all. My name is Brian and hopefully you are able to see the pics of my most recent find. If not then a little background. It's a 1988 S-10 Blazer all original with low mileage. The engine is a 2.8l v6 and I want to make a smooth riding comfortable ride for my wife and I to run around in. That's my long term goal. Short term, I just want to get more power out of it and start the general restoration process. Any advice is welcome. Where do I begin?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your trying to do part of what i've done and what I'm looking forward to doing. I just had my whole suspension system replaced and if you want more power you should just drop in a 350 or something which is what I'm hoping to do later on down the road once I get my exterior done.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I picked up an oldie but a goodie not too long ago, and Im starting mine with interior and suspension/brakes. Ive got all the new parts for that almost now, and i just install some new peices i can. one day it will all be done. have a look at mine in my signature if you like.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Salvage yards are your friend, and if the salvage yards and the internet doesn't have it, LMC truck does. Although LMC truck will rape you on prices, but if your truck had something or needs something from the factory, they have it.

Power wise, not much you can do as far as the 2.8 goes. Although it can be pricey, the 350 swap as mentioned is a great way to go. The site JTR.com (Jags that run) has alot of the parts and information for the V8 swap into the s series vehicles. Just take your time on it. Start with the restoration of the interior and replacing suspension parts so you get that comfortable ride. (Cause when the misses is happy, you are allowed to be happy. .)

Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome! ^he aint bad help lol.... There are quite a few guys here who can spout off more information that you would ever need to know... its good to have them around!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
methinks01 is on a distinguished road
Default I think I have a plan

I have ready much on the site over the past few days. I also have searched out other sites and opinions. All in all, I am not ready for the engine work even if I would like to have it done first. The interior is all original and immaculate. The exterior is in perfect condition. So, I am going to concentrate on the suspension. Tires and rim's first then new shocks all the while making sure that the existing pieces are in good order. I have located several salvage yards around here in case something comes up....Thanks so much for your advice. I'll keep everyone posted.

Brian

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Good deal. If you don't really have to have a 350, alot of people swap in the 3.6 liter (iirc) v6 camaro engines or the trusty 4.3's. You could always build it up some before installing it, port and polished heads, bored out a pinch, higher lift cam, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Xtremechubs is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum. Swap an LS motor into it lol

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 AM

Just go ***** out and showhorn a 454 in there... ha ha. I saw one crammed in a s10 before. Install would be a monumental PITA though. Looked good though lol.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

if you wanna stay with the Y-block family, you could always go the route of the 3.4 from the Lumina GTS (?) or whatever it was.

but i'm laying money on you doing a straight forward 4.3 swap.

just find a truck to rip everything out of (including the wiring harness) and it's almost a simple plug 'n play.

so where as these said pic's of some gorgeous, low mileaged Blazer?

Quick Reply: New to The Blazer world and need a mentor