2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new fuel injector needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
bobc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new fuel injector needed ?

I brought my '02 blazer to the dealer today; it's running rough with check engine light goin on.
They said one cyl is not firing and i'll need fuel injector -750 dollars for parts/ labor. does this sound right. is there anything i can ask when i go there to make sure it really is the fuel injector? thanks!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: new fuel injector needed ?

How did they determine that the fuel injector was bad? Did they put a scan tool on it and cycle the injectors one at a time and monitor the fuel pressure?

Run over to Autozone and have them scan the codes for you and report back here.

Really the only way to actually diagnose a faulty fuel injector is to cycle each injector individually and monitor the pressure drop on the fuel system (fuel pump off, but system up to operating pressure). If they did that and determined that the injector either was just not firing or that it was leaking past, then the injector is bad and needs replacing. $750!!! Holy crap! I'm takin' a guess at the injector price, but it shouldn't be over $75 from the dealer. That's another $675 for labor or ~9hrs! Again, HOLY CRAP!!! I had my upper plenum off in 45 minutes and replaced my o-rings in another hour (with a few beers inbetween). Total job, start to finish, with a run to the dealership took me 4 hours and a 6 pack. The only difference between what I did and what you might need done is that instead of reusing that one injector, you'd replace it with the new one.

Now if they aren't just going to replace that ONE injector, but replace the whole spider... That's different. That is what it more sounds like, but the injectors are individually serviceable, which makes it an ENTIRE waste to replace everything.

You could easily do this yourself and save a TON of money even if you did want to just replace the entire spider. The hardest part for me was removing the fuel lines at the back of the engine. Everything else was just a simple unbolt/remove.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Diffently go to Autozone or Strauss or Napa and have them check your codes by using a computor they ussually do it for free and tell you what is wrong. Buy yourself the book for your vehicle which can help you do alot of the things yourself its only a few bucks. Once you see what codes you got and see what the people tell you in autozone or strauss come back and tell us and we will confirm the issue. I hate going to any mechanics just for that reason. So post back.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thank you for reiterating exactly what I said in the previous post!

Anyway, you might want to try to run a can or two of fuel injector cleaner through it first before laying down a bunch of cash or pulling it apart yourself. I'm partial to Chevron w/ Techron. Run a can in the next 2 fuel fills and see if the problem returns.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

In regard to Chevron w/Techron fuel injector cleaner: I was at my local Mom and Pop store and noticed that one bottle would treat only up to 12 gal., so I'd need two bottles and it would end up costing almost 3 times as much as the STP "with Jet Fuel" stuff I usually buy. Maybe it comes in a bigger bottle or can, too?

I did consider buying it anyway, since I remembered your recommendation of the Chevron w/Techron oil, and now that you've recommended the injector cleaner, I will seriously consider it, despite the price.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Chevron makes oil??? Wasn't me recommending it... Anyway, I have used quite a few fuel injector cleaners and the Chevron has always worked better than anything else.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:37 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

. I would use Sea foam deep creep or the other sea foam fuel injector cleaner. The throttle body canbe located by following the air filter back to the engine. YOu should see two cables which is where it gives gas to the engine. All you got to do is unscrew that black **** and then pull towards you the black plastic tube from which you took the **** off. Then follow the dirrections from see creep.. Well what did autozone say to you what codes did you get let us know. Some of us can save you lots of money.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Chevron makes oil??? Wasn't me recommending it... Anyway, I have used quite a few fuel injector cleaners and the Chevron has always worked better than anything else.
Oops! Sorry if I misunderstood...... I think I have seen Chevron oil and I thought you, or maybe it was someone else, recommended it. Maybe it was the fuel injector cleaner all along. In any case, I will take your word for it that their injector cleaner works the best and will try it!