2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New fuel pump dead after 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member
TeamSumner is on a distinguished road
Default New fuel pump dead after 2 weeks

Ok so long story short - a few weeks ago my '02 4.3L 2D LS was showing signs of a failing fuel pump and finally would not start. I towed her back to my house, dropped the tank and installed a brand new AC Delco fuel pump and fuel filter. The pump came with an updated wiring pig tail which was all pretty straight forward. I also cleaned out the tank of any debris and let it completely dry before installing the new pump. I was surprised to see the new pump had no sock / but i double checked and apparently the new AC Delco pumps have an internal filter and no sock. Installation seemed to go without incident and once reassembled, she started and ran famously. Now two weeks later she will not start. If I spray carberator cleaner into the manifold , she will fire up but die as soon as it burns off. I checked the pressue at the schrader valve and got zero ... literally zero. The relay clicks twice when the key is turned "on" and I replaced the fuse. Everything points to a bad fuel pump / but its brand new and not a cheap one made overseas. When I turn the key is does not spin / so either there is no power getting to the pump or the pump is not working. Any ideas / any have this similar situation. I am stumped and dont want to drop the tank again / especially since I just filled it up. 2nd question - where to keep 20 gallons of gas if I do have to drop the tank. please help !!!!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

its sad mannn! im all about delco pumps etc.

sounds like yours is bad. ugh.

i bought a delco pump for my 87,was dead out of box. swapped it out,no issues since.

I guess swap it out and hope for the best. delco is dropping in quality maybe? never know. what do we do now? lol

Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TeamSumner
Ok so long story short - a few weeks ago my '02 4.3L 2D LS was showing signs of a failing fuel pump and finally would not start. I towed her back to my house, dropped the tank and installed a brand new AC Delco fuel pump and fuel filter. The pump came with an updated wiring pig tail which was all pretty straight forward. I also cleaned out the tank of any debris and let it completely dry before installing the new pump. I was surprised to see the new pump had no sock / but i double checked and apparently the new AC Delco pumps have an internal filter and no sock. Installation seemed to go without incident and once reassembled, she started and ran famously. Now two weeks later she will not start. If I spray carberator cleaner into the manifold , she will fire up but die as soon as it burns off. I checked the pressue at the schrader valve and got zero ... literally zero. The relay clicks twice when the key is turned "on" and I replaced the fuse. Everything points to a bad fuel pump / but its brand new and not a cheap one made overseas. When I turn the key is does not spin / so either there is no power getting to the pump or the pump is not working. Any ideas / any have this similar situation. I am stumped and dont want to drop the tank again / especially since I just filled it up. 2nd question - where to keep 20 gallons of gas if I do have to drop the tank. please help !!!!
I got a dumb question for ya! well, maybe two.....1 is did u use the new wire harness?, that comes with pump? Did u solder the connections? & shrink wrap.....also, Captain Hook highly recommends that u run a new separate ground & tie it into the existing ground in your harness!!!!!!! It's possible nothing is wrong with the pump, and u have a ground issue going on......btw, if u have a 4 door u can drop the spare tire, this makes it much easier to access the tank...

Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member

Yes - I used the new pigtail. Used the crimps and shrink sleeves that came with it and taped it all. Also covered it all with a plastic sleeve. I will check the ground issue when I drop the tank again - just need to find a place to store 20 gallons of fuel. I hope it's just a wiring issue - don't want to hassle with sending it back and waiting on a new one. Any other thoughts / ideas / suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member

Oh and it's a 2 door so the tank is at the very back / fairly easy to get to.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
I got a dumb question for ya! well, maybe two.....1 is did u use the new wire harness?, that comes with pump? Did u solder the connections? & shrink wrap.....also, Captain Hook highly recommends that u run a new separate ground & tie it into the existing ground in your harness!!!!!!! It's possible nothing is wrong with the pump, and u have a ground issue going on......btw, if u have a 4 door u can drop the spare tire, this makes it much easier to access the tank...
Would the ground issue run for 2 weeks and then die ?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Would the ground issue run for 2 weeks and then die ?
possble. But the only way you gonna know any thing is to see if its getting power. You should be able to lower the tank just enough to unplug the pigtail and check for juice. Then you`ll know, easy

Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

rubber hammer to the tank while someone trys cranking it over

I ran into relay issues with a chev p/u one time after a new pump
I also replaced the pump a second time figuring it was defective

Not sure if the blazers have a test lead under the hood

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Yes - I used the new pigtail. Used the crimps and shrink sleeves that came with it and taped it all. Also covered it all with a plastic sleeve. I will check the ground issue when I drop the tank again - just need to find a place to store 20 gallons of fuel. I hope it's just a wiring issue - don't want to hassle with sending it back and waiting on a new one. Any other thoughts / ideas / suggestions are appreciated.
I wouldn't use those crimp connectors.....if u want a good connection, use solder with heatshrink tube !!! Crimp connectors shouldnt be used on the exterior of a vehicle......I'm sure many might disagree with me but solder is cheap & easy!!!! Not to mention the only way to truly fix wiring....

Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
Default Not again

So I dropped the tank .... again ... Double checked the relay, fuse and wiring, power wire hot , pulled pumped and tested , worked. Put it all back together and it ran great. Stopped to fill up the tank - fuel pump not working. Why would a full tank cause the fuel pump to not work???!!!!!