2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New here and need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
snhujosh is on a distinguished road
Wink New here and need some help please!

Hey everyone,

My name is Josh and I am new here. I own a 96 blazer with a no start problem. I have searched a lot around here and notice one problem with my symptoms compared to the rest. Since I bought the car it ran good and always started. A few days ago she just stopped.

It does crank and will turn over but run rough if I put a little gas in the TB. However she wont start normally. Before this problem she had a rough idle but when I hit the gas it would run great, like it wasn't getting enough fuel at idle. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the ignition to on. Is this a loud sound typically? I had my ear up to the tank and heard nothing, It was slightly windy.

Tomorrow I will run the fuel system pressure checks and replace the fuel filter. I am just curious about the rough idle for the last few weeks. Thank you in advance and I am excited to get to know yall.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snhujosh
Hey everyone,

My name is Josh and I am new here. I own a 96 blazer with a no start problem. I have searched a lot around here and notice one problem with my symptoms compared to the rest. Since I bought the car it ran good and always started. A few days ago she just stopped.

It does crank and will turn over but run rough if I put a little gas in the TB. However she wont start normally. Before this problem she had a rough idle but when I hit the gas it would run great, like it wasn't getting enough fuel at idle. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the ignition to on. Is this a loud sound typically? I had my ear up to the tank and heard nothing, It was slightly windy.

Tomorrow I will run the fuel system pressure checks and replace the fuel filter. I am just curious about the rough idle for the last few weeks. Thank you in advance and I am excited to get to know yall.
Yes , start with the fuel system pressure test!!!! And don't forget to check all the fuses, and don't forget the relay........the rough idle very well could've been a symptom of a failing fuel pump!!!Captain Hook has posted lots of great info. Here to help u out.....just do a search......

Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

you haven't said do you have any engine codes? if so what are they.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Starting Member

update*

all fuses are good.

I cannot rent or buy a fuel pressure test because I live in the virgin islands are there are none so I will be looking into making one or borrowing one from a friend or auto shop. Advanced auto doesnt rent tools here.

My fuel pump does not turn on. I got access to the pump and confirmed it is dead. So I will be replacing it.

The filter is on there tight and I feel like if I crank on it anymore ill snap something. Any tricks?

The cheapest code reader I could find is way out of my price range and again advanced auto doesnt rent tools here. The car will not start so I cant even get it there.

Thank you for the quick responses!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:06 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Spray some kind of lube/oil onto the threads of the fuel lines going into the filter....do several times over a day and let it soak. Then try again, be sure to use flare nut wrenchs on the fittings to avoid rounding them.

If the Check Engine or Service Engine light is not on, probably no codes...stored anyways.

Did you apply fuses power to the fuel pump terminal and not get any fuel flow out of the fuel test port or heard no sounds from the fuel pump??

Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Starting Member

Great and bad news! it was the fuel pump and it is changed and fixed. I ended up cutting a hole because i was in a dirt lot and couldnt manage getting the tank off. It is okay its an "island car" as they call em down here. Just a beater for those who move down for a year or so.

The bad news: there was ONE fuel pump on this island for the blazer....and it was an airtex. and from what I have read this is a bad one. I only use the truck to get to work so hopefully it will survive the harsh roads for the next 6 months.

she still idles rough and has a pretty harsh delay when i hit the gas in forwards or reverse. Hopefully changing the fuel filter and giving her a tune up will help.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help!!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

At least try to get AC Delco tune up parts. These motors really do not respond well to after market secondary ignition parts. You really need to do the fuel pressure leak down tests also. That is the only way to tell if the regulator and or injector spider assembly are any good.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I would think an Airtex pump should last at least six months. It's not going to last ten or more years like an AC-Delco pump but it should be fine for now.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM
kellynteresa is on a distinguished road
Default Airtex Fuel Pump

I would like to know how long your Airtex fuel pump lasts because I just put one in my 2000 Blazer last year because it was the only one I could afford at the time.
Sincerely, Kelly Reynolds

Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I put an Airtex pump in my '94 Blazer back in 2011. It's still running. I sold that truck to my buddy and it's still running just fine. From what I've read here on the Blazer Forum that may be the only Airtex pump still running after so many years.