2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no 5v ref no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

CMP retard is not quite within spec but that should not be the reason for all of this, The distributor is installed correctly

I don’t know if injector experiments can generate a P0200 code. You have had a lot of activity there so reset codes and see if it comes back.

Measure the injector coil resistance on all 6 injectors and see what you have.

The completely proper way to test the quality of the injector circuits is with a noid light because it loads each circuit as the injector would. You always have to be careful when testing computer controlled switching circuits like the low side switching of these injectors by the PCM because you can damage them. You could load the circuits with an incandescent test light but first you have to make sure it presents a safe load by checking the bulb wattage or probe current under test. That said, there are 4 ways that a P0200 code could be generated:
  • one or more of the pink power wires or connectors is corrupted and cannot supply proper voltage to reliably fire the injectors under load
  • one or more injectors is bad
  • one or more of the low side circuits wiring or it’s connectors are bad preventing proper control of all 6 injectors
  • the engine computer is bad
if you are holding fuel pressure and it’s not too high then we know that nothing is leaking and you have a good fuel pump, regulator and return line. If you properly load each injector circuit and get proper firing pulses then we know that the pcm, injector power and wiring is good. The only thing left on fuel would be the amount of fuel being injected by each injector which is measured by firing each injector with a controlled pulse(s) after charging the fuel rail and recording the pressure drop for each injector. At that point the only thing you cannot test is the injector spray patter and pulse timing.

if the fuel system comes up ok then it would be on to ignition. When you have a crank no start condition, check for strong spark at a couple of ignition wire plug ends. 1”, regular cadence.

have you been able to look at ignition timing when the truck is running at idle and is cmpr stable?

the engine computer is almost never bad although it is often replaced as part of the parts cannon drill. In all the years I have been here I think I have seen one pcm replacement that fixed the problem and many more that did not. I would save that for last.

I don’t know anything about the markings on the injectors

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 02-05-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

One more thought. One of the most common ways to do an injector balance test as I described above is to pulse each injector with a box that supplies the ground side switching pulses which is the set up that I have. I have also seen reference to scanners that have an injector balance function which uses the trucks pcm and circuits to do this. This is a much more complete test of the system but I have not done it this way myself. Les can chime in on this one to tell us if this function exists for your truck and which scanners can do this.

George