2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Crank. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
eavaught is on a distinguished road
Default No Crank. Need Help

Hi all. I've been through a ton of posts with very similar issues to mine, but have had no luck finding a resolution. Have a '96 Blazer, the Wife's everyday driver. She stopped by the gas station last week, and shut it off. Came out, tried to start it, nothing. No crank, but all lights, windows, radio, etc. still function properly. Had to leave work to come have it towed home. Worked on it all day Saturday, and have become very frustrated. Removed the starter, took it to Advance Auto, and they said it was shot. Bought a new starter and solenoid. Installed, and still nothing. Got the same result. Was able to jumper the terminals to get it started. Checked out the cable from the battery, and it's fine. So we moved to the wire that comes from the starter relay. We cut the wire, and we're able to get it to start by touching the wire on the positive battery post. So then we investigate the relay. We swapped out the relay with the other two on the firewall, they are the same relay. Nothing, didn't work. The relay clicks when the ignition is placed in the start position, but not getting any fire to the starter. We checked the wire going from the relay, and we're getting nothing when the ignition is in the start position. So I'm thinking it could be the ignition switch. My brother then removes the relay again, and places a jumper wire inside the wiring harness that the relay is connected to. The thing starts right up. So, that tells me we're getting something from the ignition switch, right? So I go back to Advance and buy a new starter relay, and some 12 gauge wire to run from the relay to the starter. That doesn't help either. Starter is still not engaging.

For now, we have the harness where the relay connects jumpered with a wire. We cannot be down to one car because we have to get to work. I know this isn't safe, and I have to get this thing fixed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

It's worth mentioning that it has remote start as well. I have turned that off until we can figure out what's going on.

Thanks so much. Sorry for such a long post, but I need to make sure all details were included.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
RIFLEMAN 308 is on a distinguished road

HOOK EVERYTHING BACK UP THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED, then check fuses, maybe the bad starter popped a fuse, and any inline fuses in the start circuit from the remote start if any, then check the power wire running through the remote start circuit, i wouldn't know exactly how your remote start is designed, but if it allows power to run through separate terminals through the solenoid to go to the starter itself for manual starting from ignition switch then maybe the remote start solenoid could also be fried from the bad starter.