2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No electrical power at all!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep this discussion to one thread. Rules are rules.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
strongdaddy500 is on a distinguished road

i have tested both ends of the battery cables and their good (12.7v).i cannot locate a mega fuse under batt. tray.there is a fusible link there comin off batt. to headlight assemblybut its good...all the way over to driver side going into black thing in front of master cylinder.but red and black comin out of that is not hot....maybe only when motor is on..cannot find any wire that appears damaged..battery doesnt even drain after sitting...how does power get to all these accessories , and or fuse panel on side of dash?...there mustbe a wire somewhere...please help

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by strongdaddy500
i have tested both ends of the battery cables and their good (12.7v).i cannot locate a mega fuse under batt. tray.there is a fusible link there comin off batt. to headlight assemblybut its good...all the way over to driver side going into black thing in front of master cylinder.but red and black comin out of that is not hot....maybe only when motor is on..cannot find any wire that appears damaged..battery doesnt even drain after sitting...how does power get to all these accessories , and or fuse panel on side of dash?...there mustbe a wire somewhere...please help
I'm really confused here. I only have access to 1999 data. But in mine it is plain as nose on face. When you follow the thick red cable to the ends, the one that doesnt go to the starter goes to a 'black thing' on the fender in front of the brake cylinder and adjacent to the AC compressor.

The top of that black thing comes off - on mine- and you see a whole bunch of fuses and relays. But there's a MAIN fuse on the block where the batt cable connects and on the other side there's red wires coming off.
If there's 12v going in on red and none coming out on red... seems to me there's your problem

Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM

i have tested most everything that i can see ...battery cables test 12.7 on the ends and at the terminals.the battery is new.there is a wire coming off the positive that goes to the headlights and comes up on the driverside to what i believe to be the brake pump,there are red and black wires that test 12.7 going in, and the two right beside it coming out are dead...im thinking that they should until engine is hot.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM

im going to see if i can post a picture of the thing that im talking about. im not sure but i would guess that it is some kind of pump or related to the brake...it is right in front of the master cylinder...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by airmaxx28
OK, i have a 1997 Chevy Blazer Ls 4 door 4x4.My problem is the blazer is not getting any electrical power at all, it will not start no head lights no dome lights ect,I checked and replaced the terminals i checked every ground i could find and i just recently installed a new ignition switch and still nothing.Does anyone else have any ideas it would be gratly appreciated

Thanks, Chris

Check the connections at the starter solenoid maybe ... I did not read all the prior replies so please pardon if already tried ! As Swart pointed out , their are fusible links molded into the factory wire harness and damage/open circuit is not always obvious . Happened to me before at a gas station ...

Last edited by onebadsuv; 03-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Check the connections at the starter solenoid maybe
No, dont bother.

Originally Posted by strongdaddy500
i have tested both ends of the battery cables and their good (12.7v).i cannot locate a mega fuse under batt. tray.there is a fusible link there comin off batt. to headlight assemblybut its good...all the way over to driver side going into black thing in front of master cylinder.but red and black comin out of that is not hot......
Probably just me but if I didnt have power and there was 12v on a big fat wire going into some black box thingy under the hood and no voltage coming out, I'd want to know what is in there.
I cant help because I dont have a 97 and there doesnt appear to be a fuse box per se.

I even researched it on the net and others cant find it either and when they ask, there is no definitive answer.

So.. Duh.. I downloaded the Owner manual
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...let-Blazer.pdf
- You people who dont have one, get it there. No excuses.

There IS only one fuse block on the 97. Which makes it even more likely that 'black thingy' is actually a main fuse.

Update 2: I freaking hate it when I cant find something I search... been doing online searches since 1979 and treat it like a challenge. It's REAL easy now comparatively. Back then you had to understand boolean logic to get anything back that made sense.
But I digress...

So... if a major manufacturer of a tech marvel uses only one fuse block for many functions, what other stupidities might you expect?
Easy: Use the alternator terminal as a junction block.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1d9n...-chevy-bl.html
You people with 96/97 download these so you'll have them. Or you're an idiot.

Attached Thumbnails No electrical power at all!!!-2008-08-17_152645_62535462.gif   No electrical power at all!!!-2008-08-17_150900_62536060.gif  

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
duckwashere is on a distinguished road

thanks to the person who sent me the schematic for the s10, wow did that help, 13 months and no body could help. and like a dummy I thought those 2 black wires were grounds,
almost 40 years of turning wrenches and I do a stupid thing, so never buy a car from a mechanic or want to be. ok here it is bolted the wires to the back of alternator to intake, thought they were a ground. 3 wires plus a plug back of alternator, 2 wires on starter, large wire going to ABS only for the pump.