2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No floor vent air, 2002 s10 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
v8449 is on a distinguished road
Default No floor vent air, 2002 s10 blazer

Hi all,

I'm working on a buddy's '02, and here's what I'm up against: The climate controls seem to work, except that it will not discharge air through the floor vents. I've removed dash panels until I can see four actuators. Two are on the left side of center, two to the right. One actuator is obviously for the fresh air door, that one opens whenever you select defrost. All 4 actuators seem to work. However, on the left side, the shaft that the rearmost actuator moves seems to be wobbly. It's the one that has a small clock spring where the actuator arm hooks to it. I suspect that the door it moves is broken. My question is this: What's the best way to replace that door? If cutting a hole in something is a good shortcut that will probably be fine; this truck has a quarter million miles on it and the owner isn't that picky. I would like to avoid pulling the whole damn dashboard out if possible. Any tips, tricks, or videos I should watch? (I did an internet search, and kept getting results talking about replacing the actuator itself, which doesn't seem to be the problem.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member

Anyone?

Old 03-17-2021, 07:15 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Yep the defroster diverter door is broken. You can do a search on that keyword to find a posting of how one guy fixed his, including pictures.

The quick is to cut a hole in the plastic duct to access the door, then glue it back in. I believe he did this without taking the dash out.

However, taking the dash out is not really that difficult. Does help to have someone help lift out and back in.

Part is usually available on ebay, just search for Blazer defroster door.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you sir, I appreciate it. I will search for that term.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I searched for "defroster diverter door" in this forum and came up with two threads, one this one and another talking about doing the heater core, which I don't need to do. Could you maybe point me to the specific thread you were talking about with pictures?

Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-airbox-99623/

I want to say this is the one he is talking about.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you again, that thread did not appear in my search results.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran

Np. Let me know what you come up with. Wife sonoma doesn't have floor vents either, so might go this route in the summer, or might change it altogether. Will see...

Old 03-24-2021, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, an update: The air door in question was indeed broken, in exactly the way pictured in the thread referenced above. However, the actuator is still not moving the newly installed door enough to do much. Checking with a vacuum gauge revealed negligible vacuum present at the hose of the actuator responsible for moving the door to allow floor vent discharge. Removing the vacuum "brain" of the whole operation (the thing in the dashboard with all the small vacuum hoses going to it) revealed that the hose responsible for piping the vacuum from under the hood to the climate control stuff was delivering plenty of vacuum. However, the vacuum distributor, for lack of a better word, seems to be leaking at least a little. I suspect that it may be leaking vacuum so that nothing receives much vacuum to operate on. I can't seem to find this vacuum distributor on rockauto, does anyone know where to get one?

Old 03-24-2021, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran

I would check here,see if you can find a part number, then see if you can find one online or such.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/v-2002...ter-components

Quick Reply: No floor vent air, 2002 s10 blazer