2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

NO HEAT - need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

something as simple as not enough coolant? You mentioned both hoses were hot initially, that could be a blend motor issue.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Printguy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
do you have a temp gauge in the truck? is it getting to operating temperature? i would try flushing the heatercore. its possible that half or more of it is clogged and the hot water is just flowing through the open ports causing it to never have heat.

last time i had this happen it was because the thermostat was stuck open. did you change it yourself? wonder if its possible its just a bad thermostat or if you brought it somewhere they didnt put it in
well fella, you may have just nailed it right for me. I just had it flushed today & did the thermostat thing as well. An authentic GM thermostat at that!! I thought the motor was flushed when installed but because it had such low kms., he didn't think it was needed. I've played around with many vehicles but have never had a heat issue like this one!! Anyways, this was all done for me at no charge & I do have HEAT. Hopefully it continues when it gets colder ...I can hardly wait!! Sounds nuts wanting cold??
This saga might be continued!!
Thanks again abig84

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diaita
something as simple as not enough coolant? You mentioned both hoses were hot initially, that could be a blend motor issue.
thanks for the suggestions, sometimes the obvious is often overlooked. The blend door seems to function as well.

thanks again!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maxboost25psi
I am suprised to hear of the issue with a new heater core...I say flush her out real good just to make sure there is no debris in there. Also is the therostat stuck in open position (fail safe)?
Yup you're right!! I had both done & have lots of heat. Right now anyways!!! It's a lot warmer weather now as well, so wait for a bit to close this one off. This was all done at charge cause it should have been flushed in the beginning.
thanks Maxboost25psi!!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Default Heater issue maybe fixed

just wanted say thanks for all suggestions!!
It sure is great to have this support from all you smart fellas.

Complete flush & brand new GM thermostat seems to be the answer for now!!

thanks again!!
:icon_ razz:

Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road

AWESOME....I am a Noob here on this forum, but have been on Supraforums, 3si.org and others for years....

These forums are really great...reg dudes and gals helping each other out...gives ya a good feeling knowing you can reach out and ask for help when needed.....

CONGRATS on the new found heat!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Beginning Member
JAKT is on a distinguished road

My '00 Jimmy is having a heat issue as well. Regular heat doesn't work so I have to use circulation mode to get any heat. It works great on that mode but it switches off automatically after 5 minutes so I have to keep pressing it which is getting annoying. My mechanic thinks the heater core is blocked, he said that the s-10 series had problems regarding this issue.

Update: I just came back from the mechanic and they found that my heater core was indeed completely clogged up. They did a reverse flush and now I have heat again!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JAKT
Update: I just came back from the mechanic and they found that my heater core was indeed completely clogged up. They did a reverse flush and now I have heat again!
Was it filled with GM's Dex cool??
Apparently mine was filled with this stuff & I've been told it's known to clog cores cause it turns to sludge after a while. I did have mine flushed & I do have HEAT!! But he re-filled with Dex cool again cause this is what GM says my '98 should use. But I was warned to change it before 100,000 km. or I'll have more issues again. Nice thought eh!! NO HEAT AGAIN!!
Regardless, glad to hear you have heat also. Gotta keep those toe-toes & fingers warm !!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Beginning Member
JAKT is on a distinguished road

Yes the Dex-Cool was indeed the culprit. I noticed some orange granules in the coolant tank a few months back but figured it was alright since the mechanic had just topped it up for the winter. Well fast forward to present day, it had produced an orange sludge which caused the failure in the heater core; the sludge was even present around the radiator cap too.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:52 AM
Beginning Member
ACA1001 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy and the heater has stopped working. Both heater hoses however are hot and the windshield does not steam up nor is there any leakage on the passenger side flooring, which from what I understand both are large signs of something wrong with the heater core. So I doubt it is the heater core that has a problem. The engine has plenty of coolant in it, so it isn't a shortage there. I also doubt it is a stuck thermostat, because the engine is not overheating at all. Could it be an electrical issue? Like a blown fuse or something? And how would I go about figuring out which fuse if so?

Quick Reply: NO HEAT - need help!!!