2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No interior illumination

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough
Default No interior illumination

The short of it is i have no interior illumination.
The long is in the process of putting in HID's i did a quad beam mod at the same time. Beside the fact that my HID's dont work i have a bigger probelm. I picked up an illuminated switch from partsource. Hooked up the switch to the yellow on the low beam and then to ground, and then a wire i spliced directly into a wire from the back of the illumination switch. (2000 blazer by the way, and also to make sure im not a complete retard, which wire is it coming off the back of the illumination switch giving power to the illumination). Well the illumination on the switch did not work and the switch did not work. So took the switch out and disconnected the wire i spliced in and still no illumination on the dash, but when i turn the illumnation switch all the way to turn the interior lights on as well the dash would light up. Well that worked for a bit and now the dash lights do not light up at all. there are no blown fuses, and no longer any power coming off the back of the switch, as there was varying voltage depending on the dim coming off before. Now i took the switch back got another illuminated one that again did not work with the quad beam mod, so i ended up getting a simple non illuminated switch that now works.

So my question now is what the hell did i do? and im pretty sure its the (technical term has slightly escaped my head) coil of wire thingy on the illumination light is shot, so i think that i need to replace the switch now? correct? but how would this have fried the switch?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

plain and simple things first. return to stock and go from there. check the fuses. then you can try from there

Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 PM

i returned everything to stock, no blown fuses, still a no go with illumination. temp gauge is out, although illumination is still working on door switches.
The wire i tapped into in the back of the switch was showing a varying voltage depending on where i had the dimmer switch set, only when the lights were on, now im getting a no reading out of that wire.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Ok problem solved, got a new switch from the wrecker this morning for 10 bucks...the Rhiostat was fried, or however you spell that, no idea how that crappy partsource switch managed to fry it.
which leads to a second question, they only had one blazer at the yard and the switch has the fog lights on it.......my blazer does not have fog lights................but the wiring is all right there to plug into the fog light switch. where does that wiring go? is there a relay or empty relay for it? i figure im going to just wire the lights on my bush bar into that switch but i need to know where to tap into it.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i believe they're run all the way to the fuse box. under the hood maybe. there are wiring schematics on here that you just need to search for. good luck with that