2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no power when first started

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:47 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Loop status has to do with how the PCM controls fuel mixture. In open loop the PCM ignores oxygen sensor data, and uses data from other sensors to control fuel mixture. In closed loop, the PCM uses oxygen sensor data to control fuel mixture which is far more accurate.

On each start up, the PCM operates in open loop. Several things must happen before the it switches to closed loop. The colder the engine is, the longer it takes to switch to closed loop. What we're looking for on yours is: Does the problem occur precisely when it switches to closed loop.
I'm pretty sure under special tests is an o2 sensor category. Next time I have the chance to look, I'll check to see what details it has to see if its capable of checking loop with instantaneos stats

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 PM

Loop status has to do with how the PCM controls fuel mixture. In open loop the PCM ignores oxygen sensor data, and uses data from other sensors to control fuel mixture. In closed loop, the PCM uses oxygen sensor data to control fuel mixture which is far more accurate.

On each start up, the PCM operates in open loop. Several things must happen before the it switches to closed loop. The colder the engine is, the longer it takes to switch to closed loop. What we're looking for on yours is: Does the problem occur precisely when it switches to closed loop.
ok disregard my last post i deleted. so after looking into it....its the very first stat in live data . so i wanted to see how long it took to change from open to closed. it was a little over a minute, is that normal? gonna email innova and see what refresh rate is on it

Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The switch can occur anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes after start up. Several things all have to happen before it switches. As soon as they all "pass" it switches.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 PM

The switch can occur anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes after start up. Several things all have to happen before it switches. As soon as they all "pass" it switches.
i will let it sit overnight and try it again around noon tmr, since i have the day off, will post results tmr

Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM

ok, so i let the truck sit for a good 20 hours, started it up and with no hesitation started going. loop stayed open for a good 2 minutes before closing. slight power issue but not as bad as usual but hardly a difference when opened and closed

Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM

so i did it again today, sat less than 8 hours. started it up and quickly went, ran very hesitant for a good 30 seconds, then went back to acting normal. was still open when went back to normal

not sure what that means

Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If it acted up in open loop, the oxygen sensors are NOT the issue. There could be a problem with MAF, MAP, TPS, ECT, IAT, (although you checked the last two already). Could even be a problem with fuel pressure dropping out momentarily. Driving with a tester connected you could watch pressure when it acts up. That might give a clue.

Jerry had a good point in post #4. A dirty MAF can cause issues without setting a DTC in memory. Have you tried installing a "known good" sensor or cleaning the one you have?

Old 06-09-2015, 08:27 PM

have not tried swapping maf only because my mpg has been amazing lately and from what i read on here it really affects mpg if dirty. i heard cleaning them is very risky of damaging it.

as soon as i get my fp gauge ill give that a try. how would i test map and tps

Old 06-09-2015, 10:05 PM

You need to be very careful with the elements in the MAF. If you look in the bore, you can see them, but DON'T touch them. There are 3 of them: one heater, and 2 sensor wires.

TPS is best tested in graph mode while cycling the throttle, (engine off). Needs to be a smooth pattern up and down, with no spikes, and no dropouts.